These dense and fluffy apple cider donuts are filled with fall spices and baked, not fried. Coated in crunchy cinnamon sugar, they’re the ultimate fall treat!
- 1 ½ cups (354ml) apple cider
- 3 cups (360g) all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons (6.25g) ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons (8g) baking powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon (5g) salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup (56g) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup (55g) light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup (48g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¾ cup (189g) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (190g) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (7.5g) ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a donut pan with baking spray and set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, bring the apple cider to a boil over medium heat then reduce to medium low heat. Reduce the apple cider down to ½ cup. This should take 20-25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients together except the sugars and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the butter with the granulated and brown sugar until combined. Next, add the egg and egg yolk, the applesauce, and vanilla and maple syrup and whisk until combined. Finally, add in the apple cider, mixing to combine.
- Lastly, add the flour mixture and mix just until combined as the batter will be thick. Spoon the batter into a large piping bag and pipe batter into each donut cavity, filling until full.
- Bake at 350°F for 9-10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out cleanly. Cool in the pan for a few minutes then turn them out onto a cooling rack until they are warm enough to handle.
- To make the coating, whisk the sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl. One at a time, dunk each donut into the melted butter (on both sides) then roll them in the cinnamon sugar and toss well to coat.
- Repeat until all of the donuts are coated.
- Storage and make ahead: Donuts can be kept in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Recipe from Sift Magazine, a King Arthur Flour publication. Fall 2015
- Category: Donuts
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple cider donuts, baked apple cider doughnuts, apple cider donuts recipe