These Apple Cider Donuts are baked to perfection and covered with either cinnamon sugar or a cider glaze. Best of all, this recipe can be halved to make only 6 donuts!
- 1/4 cup (56g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (59ml) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (95g) granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5g) salt
- 1 teaspoon (2.5g) ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons (59ml) boiled cider (or apple juice concentrate)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons (7.5g) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ½ cups (350g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (236ml) milk
Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- ¼ cup (48g) granulated sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons (7-15g) ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons (28g) unsalted butter, melted
For the glaze (coats 6 donuts)
- ¾ cups (98g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) boiled cider (or thawed frozen apple juice concentrate)
- 1 tablespoon (14g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a donut pan generously with pam spray.
- Combine butter, oil, sugar, salt and spices and beat until butter is well blended. Add eggs and boiled cider and beat until all ingredients are well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking powder, baking soda and flour and whisk ingredients together. Scape down sides of the bowl.
- Pour alternating dry ingredients with milk and mix just until batter is mixed. Pour batter into a piping bag or Ziploc bag to help fill the donut pan easily.
- Fill each cavity mostly full of batter and give the pan a gentle tap on the counter to even out the batter.
- Bake at 400°F for 10-15 minutes, keep an eye on the donuts after 10 minutes so you do not overcook them. Insert the toothpick into the donut and if it comes out clean, they are done. Allow donuts to cool for at least 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
For the Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl or paper plate and stir together.
- Melt butter in the microwave. Brush each cupcake with a thin layer of butter and roll donuts in the cinnamon sugar mix.
For the glaze – coats 6 donuts
- Sift powdered sugar into a bowl. Add boiled cider, melted butter and 1 teaspoon of milk. Whisk until smooth. Add additional milk if you want a thinner glaze.
- Dip each donuts and swirl in the glaze. Turn over on a wire rack and allow glaze to firm up. Glazed donuts are best served day of, but can be kept in an airtight container for one day.
Storage and make ahead: Donuts can be keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Recipe from Sift Magazine, a King Arthur Flour publication. Fall 2015
- Category: Donuts
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple cider donuts, cider donuts, baked apple cider donuts