This Apple Crumble Pie is so simple to make and a fun twist on a classic apple pie recipe. The fresh sliced apples are coated with white and brown sugar, loads of cinnamon and maple syrup. The perfect crumble topping is made with brown sugar, oats and cinnamon. If you need a basic apple pie recipe, this is it!
For the crust:
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
For the filling:
- 4 medium granny smith apples
- 2 medium gala apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
For the crumble:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the crust: Cut the butter into cubes, about ½ inch thick. Butter should be very cold.
- In a food processor, combine the flour and salt and pulse gently to combine. Add the cubes of butter and continue pulsing until the mixture is crumbly.
- Next add the water, starting with 3 tablespoons and reserving the 4thtablespoon if needed. Pulse the water into the flour mixture until the dough begins to clump.
- Press the dough into a ball, flatten into a disc, about 5 inches wide. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Place the dough in a 9-inch pie plate, trim away the extra pie crust or fold under the edges. Crimp the edges and press a fork into the bottom of the crust several times. Refrigerate the dough while you’re preparing the filling.
- Preheat to oven to 375°
- For the filling: Peel and slice the apples about 1/8” thick and toss with the lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients and then toss the apples thoroughly in the dry ingredients.
- Finally, drizzle the maple syrup over top then pour your apples in your prepared crust.
- For the topping: Dice the butter into small pieces and combine with the flour, sugar and cinnamon. Use a pastry cutter or two forks and press the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles a crumbly mixture and the butter is broken down into smaller pieces.
- Next add the rolled oats and cut it into the flour mixture. Once it’s roughly combined, use your hands to start pressing the mixture into larger pieces.
- Pour your apple pie filling into the prepared crust and then sprinkle the crumble topping over top.
- Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes. Cool before serving. Once cooled, keep covered.
Crust recipe from Challenge Dairy