This Apple Crumble Pie is so simple to make and a fun twist on a classic apple pie recipe. The fresh sliced apples are coated with white and brown sugar, loads of cinnamon and maple syrup. The perfect crumble topping is made with brown sugar, oats and cinnamon. If you need a basic apple pie recipe, this is it!
For the crust:
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, cold
- 1 ½ cup (210g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ice cold water (additional as needed)
For the filling:
- 4 medium granny smith apples
- 2 medium gala apples
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) lemon juice
- ¼ cup (35g) flour
- ¼ cup (48g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (55g) packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon (5g) ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) maple syrup
For the crumble:
- 6 tablespoons (85g) unsalted butter, cold
- 1/3 cup (46g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (55g) light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup (54g) rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon (2.5g) cinnamon
Make the crust:
- Cut the cold butter into 1/2-inch thick cubes. It should be fresh from the fridge.
- Combine the flour, salt and butter in a food processor. Pulse several times until the mixture is crumbly, but still has large chunks of butter.
- Add the egg, vinegar and 2 teaspoons of ice cold water. Pulse until the dough begins to hold together. If needed, add additional water 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Turn the dough out onto the counter. Press it into a ball, then flatten it into a disc about 5 inches wide. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for a minimum of 60 minutes.
- Roll the dough onto a lightly floured surface, rolling from the center to the edges and rotating occasionally. Roll it out so it’s about 11” in diameter, leaving you at least 1 inch on each side of the pie plate.
- Place the dough into a 9-inch pie plate and fold under the excess edges, then crimp the edges. Refrigerate the dough while you prepare your pie filling.
- Preheat to oven to 375°
Make the filling:
- Peel and slice the apples about 1/8” thick and toss with the lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients and then toss the apples thoroughly in the dry ingredients.
- Finally, drizzle the maple syrup over top then pour your apples in your prepared crust.
Assemble the topping and bake:
- Dice the butter into small pieces and combine with the flour, sugar and cinnamon. Use a pastry cutter or two forks and press the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles a crumbly mixture and the butter is broken down into smaller pieces.
- Next add the rolled oats and cut it into the flour mixture. Once it’s roughly combined, use your hands to start pressing the mixture into larger pieces.
- Pour your apple pie filling into the prepared crust and then sprinkle the crumble topping over top.
- Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes. Cool before serving. Once cooled, keep covered.
Make it gluten free- You can easily make this gluten-free by swapping out the all-purpose flour with a measure for measure gluten-free flour and using a gluten-free oats in the topping. Try using this pie crust recipe.
- Category: Pie
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dutch apple pie, crumb apple pie, homemade apple pie