These Apple Pie Cupcakes are the perfect fall dessert! Made-from-scratch brown sugar cupcakes are filled with an ooey-gooey homemade apple pie filling, then topped with a light and creamy maple buttercream frosting!
For the cupcake
- 1 cup (190g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (110g) light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup (118ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons (28g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large egg
- 2 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (96g) sour cream
- 2 ½ cups (350g) all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons (11.25g) baking powder
- 2 teaspoons (5g) ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups (315ml) milk
For the filling
- 3 large green apples- peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons (30g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon (9g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) water
For the frosting
- 2 cups (454g) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup (220g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) pure maple syrup
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugars, vegetable oil, butter, eggs and egg yolks and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated. Scrape down the bowl as needed. Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients. Alternate adding half the dry ingredients and half the milk at a time and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full. Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Cool completely.
For the filling
- Peel and dice apples into small pieces (about the size of a dime) and squeeze a lemon over top and stir to combine.
- Combine the dry ingredients and then mix together with the apples, tossing to combine. Pour the maple syrup over the apple and gently stir.
- Heat apples on the stove over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until soft. Stir occasionally. You want the apples to be soft. If the apples are sticking to the pan add 1-2 tablespoons of water to the saucepan as needed. Set aside and allow to cool, refrigerating if necessary.
For the frosting
- Wipe down the inside of your stainless-steel bowl with vinegar to remove any grease. Combine sugar and egg whites in the bowl with a candy thermometer attached.
- Set the bowl over top of a pot with 1 ¼ cups water covering the bottom. Place over medium heat.
- Stir constantly with a whisk until the mixture reaches 140°-160° The sugar should be dissolved in the egg whites. You can test this by placing a drop on your fingertips and rub together, the mixture should be completely smooth.
- Immediately place the mixing bowl on your stand. Using the wire whisk attachment, beat the eggs white on low speed for 2 minutes then increase to medium-high.
- Beat for another 5-8 minutes. At this point, your frosting should have turned light brown and the body of the meringue starts to form. Increase the mixing speed to high. It will start to look glossy as the peaks begin to form. Beat for another 3-5 minutes until the bottom of your bowl is cool to the touch and your meringue has stiff peaks.
- Turn the mixer down to medium-low. Slowly add the butter, a couple of tablespoons at a time. As you add more butter, the frosting might appear to have curdled and lost its body, that’s ok. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Switch to the paddle attachment, add the vanilla extract and maple syrup and continue beating on medium-high speed until your frosting starts to have stiff peaks, about 3-5 minutes.
To Assemble the Cupcakes
- Remove the centers using a cupcake corer and set the tops of the cupcakes to the side.
- Use a spoon to fill the center of each cupcake with the apple filling. Then gently push the top of the cupcake back on top of the filling.
- Use a large piping bag fitted with a large piping tip to frost the cupcakes.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: maple buttercream, apple recipes, apple pie filling recipes