These easy bakery-style muffins will satisfy all your apple pie cravings! Soft and fluffy cinnamon muffins are filled with homemade apple pie filling and topped with a buttery brown sugar pecan streusel. No one can resist these festive Apple Cinnamon Muffins!
For the apple filling
- 3–4 medium green apples, sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons (28g) packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (17.5g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (5g) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (2.5g) apple pie spice
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) pure maple syrup
For the muffin batter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, browned
- 2 1/4 cups (315g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (190g) granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons (16g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (2.5g) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (236ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (48g) sour cream
For the streusel
- 6 tablespoons (52.5g) all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons (70g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon (2.5) ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons (70g) unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 cup (60g) chopped pecans
Make the Filling
- Peel and slice your apples into small pieces; about the size of a dime. Place in a medium-size saucepan. Squeeze the juice from a whole lemon over the apples.
- Combine the dry ingredients together and mix into the apples until the apples are coated. Then add the maple syrup and toss to combine.
- Using a saucepan on medium-high heat, cook the apples for about 15-18 minutes until they begin to brown and bubble, and they have softened. Remove from heat and cool completely. Refrigerate if necessary.
Make the Muffins
- Brown the butter: Turn stovetop on to medium/medium low heat bringing the butter to a boil, stirring occasionally. As the milk solids start to turn golden brown, stir constantly and don’t take your eyes off it! Butter can go from brown to burn very quickly. Once the solid start to go from golden brown to darker brown, remove from the heat immediately and pour into a heatproof bowl. Allow the butter to cool.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Generously grease a muffin pan with Crisco or baking spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg using a whisk until light and fluffy then add melted butter and whisk to combine. Next add the milk and sour cream and whisk everything together until well combined.
- Slowly pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a wooden spoon to mix just until combined. Add apple pie filling when about half of your flour is mixed into the wet ingredients.
- Prepare streusel topping: Combine the dry ingredients. Chop the butter into small cubes and use a pastry cutter or fork to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until no large chunks remain.
- Fill your muffin tin all the way to the top with batter. Add 1-2 tablespoon of streusel to the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425° and then reduce heat to 350° and bake for another 16-20 minutes. Do not open the oven for at least 15 minutes.
- Check your muffins for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the muffin. If your toothpick comes out clean, your muffin is done. Allow muffins to cool completely in the pan.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple muffins, apple and cinnamon muffins, cinnamon muffins