These Coconut Cream Pie Cupcakes are the perfect combination of coconut cake with a lightly sweetened coconut mousse and topped with a cream cheese whipped cream.
For the cupcake
- 1 box (15oz) White cake mix
- 1 cup (120g) shredded sweetened coconut
- 3 large Egg whites
- ¾ cups (177ml) Coconut milk, mixed
- ½ cup (118ml) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (96g) light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon (3.75g) baking powder
For the filling
- 1 package (3.4oz) instant vanilla pudding
- ¾ cup (177ml) milk, any type
- 1 teaspoon (5g) coconut extract
- 1 cup (236ml) heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup (32g) powdered sugar
For the frosting
- 8 ounces (226g) cream cheese, cold
- 1 3/4 cups (413ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (130g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) pure vanilla extract
- Shredded coconut for garnish
For the cupcake
- Pre-heat over to 350° F. Mix Coconut milk well before adding to the batter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix with all remaining ingredients. Beat on medium speed until all ingredients are well mixed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir from the bottom.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cupcake is done. Cool completely.
For the Filling
- Combine the pudding with milk and coconut extract. Whisk until pudding is dissolved. Refrigerate until firm.
- Prepare the whipped cream. Place the mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to chill.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream at medium-high speed until soft peaks start to form. Add the powdered sugar and continue beating at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Remove pudding from the refrigerator (after it has set) and gently fold in whipping cream. Place filling in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the Frosting
- Chill the bowl for 5-10 minutes again. Beat the cream cheese on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes until cream cheese is smooth and free of lumps. Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Add 3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream. Beat into the cream cheese until cream cheese resembles a liquid mixture.
- Slowly drizzle in the heavy whipping cream and continue beating until the cream cheese resembles a liquid mixture. Continue to add the remaining heavy whipping cream and beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat until stiff peaks form. Use immediately or keep refrigerated.
- To assemble the cupcakes, remove the middle of the cupcake using a spoon, knife, or cupcake corer. Cut off the tip of the Ziplock bag and fill the center with the coconut mousse filling. Top with cream cheese whipped cream. Sprinkle with shredded coconut. These cupcakes must be refrigerated.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: It’s important the frosting is whipped to stiff peaks or it will not properly set when it’s piped. You can see the full tutorial right here.
- Homemade Coconut Cupcakes: You can swap out the cake mix cupcakes for these homemade coconut cupcakes.
- Storage Instructions: Once the filling has been added to these cupcakes, they have to be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. These will stay fresh for 3 days.
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Coconut Cupcakes, Cake Mix Cupcake, coconut cupcakes using coconut milk, Easy Cupcake Recipe