These Coconut Cream Pie Cupcakes are the perfect combination of coconut cake with a lightly sweetened coconut mousse and topped with a cream cheese whipped cream.
For the cupcake
- 1 box (15oz) White cake mix
- 1 cup shredded coconut, sweetened
- 3 large Egg whites
- ¾ cups Coconut milk (mixed)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the filling
- 1 package (3.4oz) instant vanilla pudding
- ¾ cup milk (I use nonfat)
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
For the frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cold
- 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Shredded coconut for garnish
- Pre-heat over to 350° F. Mix Coconut milk well before adding to batter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, shredded coconut, egg whites, coconut milk, vegetable oil, sour cream, coconut extract and baking powder. Beat on medium speed until all ingredients are well mixed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir from the bottom.
- Divide batter evenly between lined cupcake pan. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cupcake is done. Cool completely.
- To prepare the filling, combine instant vanilla pudding with milk and coconut extract. Whisk until pudding is dissolved. Refrigerate until firm.
- Prepare the whipped cream. Put the bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to get them really cold (this step is optional, but a common practice I use.). In cold mixing bowl, pour in heavy whipping cream and beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Add powdered sugar and increase speed to medium high. Beat until stiff peak form.
- Remove pudding from refrigerator (after it has set) and gently fold in whipping cream. Place filling in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the frosting, Beat cream cheese on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes until cream cheese is smooth and free of lumps. Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Add 3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream. Beat into cream cheese until cream cheese resembles a liquid mixture.
- Add remaining heavy whipping cream and beat on medium-high speed. Slowly added powdered sugar and beat until still peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble the cupcakes, remove the middle of the cupcake using a spoon, knife or cupcake corer. Cut off the tip of the Ziplock bag and fill the center with the coconut mouse filling. Top with cream cheese whipped cream. Sprinkle with shredded coconut. These cupcakes must be refrigerated.
The most important thing to remember is that the cream cheese needs to be whipped very well before adding the heavy cream, so that you beat out all the lumps in the cream cheese first.
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Coconut Cupcakes, Cake Mix Cupcake, Coconut Cupcake recipe, coconut cupcakes using coconut milk, Coconut Cream Pie Cupcakes