Soft and chewy Brown Sugar Cookies are an easy sugar cookie recipe filled with the rich, caramelized flavor of brown sugar inside and out (plus a touch of maple syrup!). Roll your cookies in extra sugar for an irresistible crunch.
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1 cup (220g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup (78ml) pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon maple extract (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups (245g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup granulated or brown sugar (for rolling the dough)
- Soften cold butter in the microwave for 10-12 seconds. Combine the butter with the brown sugar and beat on medium speed until well creamed together.
- Add the maple syrup, eggs, and extracts and mix until well combined, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Slowly add into the batter and beat on medium-low speed until well combined and dough forms.
- Use a large cookie scoop and scoop cookie dough onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Roll in granulated sugar. Refrigerate the dough for a minimum of 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Place the dough about 2 inches apart, and let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes prior to baking.
- Bake at 350° F for 11-13 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for several minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Maple extract: You can omit this or substitute with additional vanilla extract
- How to store these cookies: Keep them in an airtight container
- How to freeze these cookies: To freeze the cookie dough, pre-scoop the dough, roll it in sugar, and then refrigerate for 30 minutes. Transfer the dough to an airtight container and freeze. The dough should be thawed but cold prior to baking. To freeze baked cookies, cool them completely then transfer them to an airtight container to freeze.
- Need a substitute for cream of tartar? Here are some options.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Baked
Keywords: brown sugar cookies, best sugar cookies, maple cookies