Soft and Chewy brown sugar cookies are made with all brown sugar, flavored with real maple syrup and rolled in sugar to finish them off.
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cups (220g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup (78ml) pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon maple extract (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups (245g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (for rolling the dough)
- Soften cold butter in the microwave for 10-12 seconds. Combine the butter with the brown sugar and beat on medium speed until well creamed together.
- Add the maple syrup, eggs and extracts and mix until well combined, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Slowly add into batter and beat on medium low speed until well combined and dough forms.
- Use a large cookie scoop and scoop cookie dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Roll in granulated sugar. Refrigerate the dough for a minimum of 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Place the dough about 2 inches apart, and let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes prior to baking.
- Bake at 350° F 11-13 minutes. Allow cookie to cool on the baking sheet for several minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Maple extract: You can omit this or substitute with additional vanilla extract
- Top with a pinch of sea salt: If you like a sweet and salty combo, and a pinch of sea salt on top prior to and after baking. I love Maldon salt.
- How to store these cookies: Keep in an airtight container
- How to freeze these cookies: To freeze the cookie dough, pre-scoop the dough, roll in sugar and then refrigerate for 30 minutes. Transfer dough to an airtight container and freeze. Dough should be thawed but cold prior to baking. To freeze baked cookies, cool them completely then transfer to an airtight container and freeze.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Baked
Keywords: Maple cookies, Brown Sugar cookies, Sugar Cookies, Christmas cookies