This Cabernet Chocolate pudding is a homemade chocolate pudding made with rich dark chocolate and it’s spiked with cabernet wine. This homemade pudding is made without egg yolks. It’s an easy no-bake dessert you can serve in the summer or wintertime.
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- dash of Salt
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 3/4 cup Cabernet Sauvignon, or other red wine
- 6 ounces Dark Chocolate, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, combine the dry ingredients and whisk over medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the milk and whisk the dry ingredients into the milk, dig into the bottom and sides of your pans to pick up any flour that might be sticking. Then add the red wine.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until the mixture starts to bubble and thickens.
- Slowly add the chocolate, whisking it into the pudding until it has melted.
- Once the pudding starts to boil, cook for another 30 seconds then remove from heat. Immediately strain the pudding through a fine sieve. Rinse the sieve and repeat one more time and pour the pudding into a medium-sized bowl.
- Immediately cover the top of the pudding with clear plastic wrap (directly on the surface of the pudding) and poke a few holes with a toothpick.
- Allow it to cool on the counter for at least 1 hour or until cool to the touch. Then refrigerate for 2 hours until it’s firmed up.
- Serve with fresh whipped cream and berries.
If you don’t have a cabernet, you can substitute another red wine. I’ve made this recipe with merlot as well. I am not much of a red wine drinker myself, but I love cooking with it.
When your pudding is done, it might seem like it’s a little thin. That’s okay! It will stiffen to a custard-like consistency as it cools. I recommend cooling on the countertop and then transferring to the refrigerator.
You can pour these into individual serving glasses or you can scoop and serve it once it’s firm, but either way, you’ll want to cover the top of the pudding with plastic wrap to prevent skin from forming on top of the pudding.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Chilled
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pudding, chocolate pudding