Cake Batter Monster Cookies are chewy oatmeal cookies with vanilla cake mix and a layer of creamy vanilla frosting. The cookies are filled with MnMs, sprinkles and white chocolate chips.
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 cup (95g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (110g) light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (140g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (35g) vanilla cake mix, dry
- 1 cup (80g) rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (90g) white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup MnMs
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
For the frosting
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, cold
- 2 1/2 cups (325g) powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) milk or heavy cream
- Additional Sprinkles for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Soften the cold butter in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Combine the softened butter with the brown and granulated sugar. Beat on medium speed until well combined, 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the egg and vanilla extract and continue beating until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, cake mix, oats, salt and baking soda. Stir to combine and slowly add the dry ingredients into the dough, mixing on low speed until dough starts to form.
- Before the dough thickens, add the chocolate chips, MnMs and sprinkles. Beat a couple of times until they start to incorporate.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet. Scoop the dough using a large cookie scoop and place on a sheet pan, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes. The center of the cookie should be slightly under baked but not too gooey. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- For the frosting: Cut the butter into smaller pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally, beating until the butter is very fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract & heavy cream. Ensure the powdered sugar is well combined, then and whip for 3-4 minutes at high speed.
- To assemble the cookies, find two cookies that are similar in size. Use a piping bag or Ziploc bag and cut of the tip off the bag, swirl the frosting on one side of the cookie. Place a second cookie on top and gently press down. Then you can roll the edges in additional sprinkles.
- Cake mix: Vanilla, yellow or white cake mix will work.
- Oats: I prefer to use rolled oats but quick oats will also work
- Storage: Keep these stored in an airtight container or Ziploc bag
- When your cookies come out of the oven and they do spread or are misshaped, take a flat edge, such as a knife and press the edges of the cookie back towards the middle of the cookie, shaping it into a circle.
- This recipe can easily be doubled. As written it makes 16 cookies (or 8 cookie sandwiches)
1 Cookie Sandwich
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: oatmeal cookies, monster cookies, MnM cookies