Spice up your next chicken dinner with this easy and cheesy Chicken Empanadas recipe! These homemade empanadas are baked crisp and golden on the outside, filled with juicy ground chicken, zesty chipotle, and melted cheese.
For the Empanadas
- 1 package (17oz/2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican Oregano (or Italian Oregano)
- 1/3 cup chipotle sauce or 3 chipotles in adobo sauce (finely chopped)
- 2/3 cup tomato sauce
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 egg, beaten
For the Sauce
- 1 large avocado
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or salt to taste)
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pan. Sauteé the onion on medium-low for 7 minutes. Next, add the chicken and cook until it’s no longer pink, then season with salt and oregano.
- Next, add the chipotle sauce and tomato sauce and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce is thicker. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or cooking spray.
- Unfold the puff pastry and cut out 4-inch circles. Use the extra dough, just press it back, reroll and cut more circles
- Place a large spoonful of filling into the center and sprinkle with cheese. Wet the edge of the pastry with water all the way around and fold it over. Seal the edges with a fork then brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- To make the sauce, mash the avocado in a bowl and stir together with the crema, cilantro, and lime zest. Add salt to taste if desired. Serve with the empanadas.
- You may have a little leftover meat. Save for later in an airtight container.
- If you don’t have a 4-inch circle cutter you can use a 3-inch circle which will result in more empanadas.
- Swap out the ground chicken for ground turkey, beef or pork
- You can serve these with salsa, sour cream, or my favorite guacamole.
- If you prefer spicier, you can add extra chipotle sauce.
- Storing: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the oven or toaster oven for a crispier reheat. Otherwise warm in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Freezing: Freeze baked empanadas for up to 3 months.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American, Mexican
Keywords: chicken empanadas recipe, baked empanadas, empanada recipe