Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting is a silky whipped chocolate frosting that melts in your mouth. This easy cream cheese frosting recipe is perfect for piping onto cakes and cupcakes!
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, cold
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cold
- ½ cup (56g) cocoa powder
- 4 ½ cups (585g) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) milk or heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) pure vanilla extract
- Cut the butter into 1-inch blocks. Beat the butter for 1-2 minutes until it is slightly softened.
- Then add the cream cheese and cream together for 2-3 minutes until fluffy and free of lumps, scraping down the bowl occasionally.
- Add the cocoa powder and vanilla extract and beat until well combined,
- Next, add the confectionary sugar 2 cups at a time, followed by one tablespoon of heavy whipping cream, and beat for 60-90 seconds until completely smooth.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream and beat until desired consistency, at least 2 minutes.
- Spread frosting over the cooled cake and then cover it with sprinkles. Keep in an airtight container.
This recipe yields enough frosting for a 9-inch by 13-inch cake and more than enough for 12 cupcakes. If you’re looking to frost 24 cupcakes, just multiply the recipe by 1.5. If you double the recipe, you will have a lot of leftover frosting!
- Category: Frosting
- Method: Mixer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cream cheese frosting, chocolate frosting, easy frosting recipe