With this step-by-step tutorial, you’ll be making this Christmas Cake in no time. Bring this festive Christmas Tree Pull Apart Cupcake Cake to your next holiday party and just wait for the look on your friends faces when they see your creation!
For the frosting
- 1 1/2 cup (339 g) unsalted butter, cold
- 6 cups (780g) powdered sugar
- 2 ½ (12 ml) tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
For the decoration
- 1 ounce chocolate, melted
- Green gel food coloring
- Sprinkles and decorations
- Prepare a batch of at least 24 cupcakes and cool completely.
- For the frosting: Cut the butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally, beating until the butter is very fluffy.
- Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated into the butter then add the vanilla extract and mix to combine. Beat for about 60 seconds.
- Next, add an additional 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 3 minutes.
- Add the last 1 cup powdered sugar along with the heavy whipping cream. Beat on low until the ingredients start to mix together. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 3-5 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting.
- For the chocolate frosting Separate out ¼ cup of the finished frosting. Set aside. Once ready to use, melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring occasionally until completely smooth. Stir the melted chocolate into the small cup of frosting. Use immediately for the tree trunks, and then use a fork or toothpick to give them a rough look
- Separate out another ¼-½ cup of frosting if you’d like to have another color of frosting for your cake, such as the white for the star on top, the extra present cupcakes or if you’d like a two toned frosting (note you may want to set aside more than 1/2 a cup for this depending on your design intent)
- Dye the rest of your remaining frosting green, fill two large piping bags 2/3 full.
- Prepare a couple of piping bags: at least 1 or 2 small piping bags fitted with couplers and one small bag without a coupler for the larger piping tips so that you can easily switch them out.
- Set up your cupcakes in the shape of a tree. For all the cupcakes you’ll be frosting with green frosting, place a small dollop of frosting (appx 1 teaspoon) on each cupcake and spread evenly with an angled spatula.
- First use a 1M piping tip to make the large roses. You may want to come back in halfway through and add some smaller ones
- Then use a large French star tip (size 866) to make large dollops of frosting and large swirls.
- Finally, use the smaller piping tips, size 21 and and size 199 to fill in the gaps making rosettes.
- For the star on top, use your white frosting to frost the cupcake and dip in gold sprinkles.
- Decorate the tree with sprinkles.
- In order to be able to transfer this, you’ll need a board at least 16-inch by 18-inches. It’s hard to find a board of that size but you can make one using a thick piece (single or double layer) of cardboard wrapped in aluminum foil.
- For the green frosting, I used Leaf Green Americolor, a touch of yellow and a tiny touch of black to make it darker.
- The green frosting can soften as you use it due to handling, so I recommend preparing two bags of frosting in an effort to prevent this and also make it easier to use, then I used a separate bag fitted with just the piping tips. I drop the larger, filled bags in the smaller one. For more tips on using piping bags, see separate blog post
- Prepare the chocolate frosting once you’re ready to frost the trunks, the chocolate frosting turns more firm and “fudgier” when the chocolate was added. If it gets too firm, microwave for 3-5 seconds at a time until spreadable
- All products used and step by step photos shown in the blog post
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 46.9g
- Sodium: 118.6mg
- Fat: 17.9g
- Saturated Fat: 11.8g
- Carbohydrates: 58.3g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 3.1g
Keywords: Cupcake Cake, Christmas Cake, Pull Apart Cupcake Cake