Cinnamon muffins swirled with a cinnamon brown sugar streusel and topped with a sweet vanilla glaze.
For the Muffins:
- 2 1/4 C Flour
- 1 C Granulated sugar
- 4 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 C Unsalted butter
- 1 Large egg
- 1 C Milk or buttermilk
- 1/4 C Sour cream
For the Streusel:
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 3 tbsp Brown sugar
- 3 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
For the Glaze:
- 1– 1 1/2 C Powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Juice of half a lemon
- Preheat oven to 425°. Grease a muffin pan with Crisco or baking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Then set this mixture aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg using a whisk until light and fluffy. Add melted butter and whisk together with the egg. Continue to add milk and sour cream and whisk everything together until smooth.
- Slowly pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a wooden spoon to mix just until combined.
- To prepare streusel, combine butter with all dry ingredients. Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until no large chunks remain.
- Fill your muffin tin all the way to the top with batter. Add 1 tablespoon of streusel to the top of each muffin. Use a knife or toothpick and swirl into the muffin.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425° and then reduce heat to 350° and bake for another 16-20 minutes. Do not open the oven for at least 15 minutes, you will see how nicely the muffins rise. Baking times will vary by oven.
- Check your muffins for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the muffin. If your toothpick comes out clean, your muffin is done. Allow muffins to cool completely in the pan. You can also cool on a wire rack, but you want to allow them to cool enough to remove and transport them out of the pan.
- Sift powdered sugar. This step is necessary to create a smooth glaze. Start with 1 cup of powdered sugar
- Add milk and vanilla extract and stir to combine. The mixture will be thick.
- SLOWLY squeeze in the lemon juice and mix to cut the sweetness until desired taste.
- For a thicker glaze, add only 1 tablespoon of milk instead of 2. Or add additional powdered sugar. There is no secret to the glaze, you have to alternate milk and powdered sugar until desired consistency and taste.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cinnamon muffins