This homemade coconut cake is filled with a blueberry pie filling and topped with mascarpone whipped cream.
For the cake
- 1 ½ cups (285g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (118 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon (28g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large egg
- 2 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (118 ml) sour cream
- 2 ½ cups (350g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon (7.5g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (4.5g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5g) salt
- 1 1/3 cup (315ml) coconut milk, well stirred
For the filling and frosting
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 16 ounces mascarpone whipped cream, cold
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 coconut extract (or more to taste)
- 1 can (21oz/595g) Lucky Leaf Premium Blueberry Fruit Filling or Topping
- 1 cup toasted coconut (optional)
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare three 8-inch round baking pans, line the bottom with parchment paper and grease the sides. Prepare your bake even stripes if desired.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, butter, eggs sour cream and extracts. Beat on medium speed until well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients. Alternate adding half the dry ingredients and half the coconut milk at a time and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Divide the batter evenly between the three pans, about 1 2/3 cups of batter per pan. Bake at 350°F for 20-24 minutes and rotate your pans in the oven halfway through.
- Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Toast the coconut in the preheat oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, spread the coconut evenly on the pan. Bake for 5-8 minutes, or until desired color is reached. Transfer to a bowl or plate to stop the cooking process. Cool completely.
For the frosting
- Place the mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to chill.
- Spoon the mascarpone cream into your bowl and beat on a medium-low speed. Slowly pour in about ½ cup of heavy cream, allowing the mascarpone cheese to turn to a liquid consistency, scraping down the bowl occasionally.
- Add all remaining cream then increase the mixing speed to high (speed 8-10) and beat it until soft peaks form.
- Next, add the powdered sugar and coconut extract, beating on low until sugar is incorporated. Then continue beating at a high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Use a cake leveler to cut the domes off the top of the cake. Place a dollop of frosting on your cake board and place the bottom layer of cake on top of that.
- Place half of the whipped cream in a large piping bag fitted with a large open round tip, or simply cut off the end of the piping bag. Pipe a thick border (a dam) along the outside edge of your cake. You may need to do this twice.
- Fill the middle of the cake with 1 cup of Lucky Leaf Premium Blueberry Fruit Filling and spread evenly. Make sure that the filling is not higher than the edges.
- Add the second layer of cake and repeat the above steps using all of the remaining Lucky Leaf Premium Blueberry Fruit Filling. Next, add the final layer of cake on top.
- Use a piping bag to fill in any gaps between the layers and to create a crumb coat. Using an offset spatula or scraper, wipe away the excess frosting, leaving just enough to coat the outside of the cake. Place the cake in the fridge or freezer for 5-10 minutes.
- Set aside 1 ¼ cup of frosting to decorate the top. Proceed to frost the top and sides of the cake with a piping bag filled with the remaining frosting. Smooth with an offset spatula or scraper. Use remaining frosting to pipe the florets on the top of the cake using a 1M piping tip. Press some toasted coconut up against the sides of the cake and fill the top of the cake with remaining coconut.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Coconut Cake, blueberry pie filling, whipped cream frosting