Nom nom nom on soft and chewy Cookie Monster cookies! Made from thick chocolate chip cookies stuffed with two types of melty chocolate and crunchy cookie pieces.
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (220g) packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup (95g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups (420g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (4g) corn starch
- 1 teaspoon (5g) salt
- 1 teaspoon (4g) baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 bag (8oz/226g) Oreo mini- Snak-Saks, divided
- 1 bag (8oz/226g) Chips Ahoy mini- Snak-Saks, divided
- Royal Blue gel icing, Light blue gel icing (optional- see notes)
- Eyeball candy
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet. Allow the butter to soften for at least 20 minutes.
- Beat the butter with the brown and granulated sugar. Beat on medium speed until well combined, 2-3 minutes until well creamed. Next, add the eggs and vanilla extract and continue beating until well incorporated. Add 1 teaspoon royal blue gel icing and 2 drops of light blue gel icing and beat until incorporated, scrape down the bowl to fully incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients. Stir to combine and slowly add the dry ingredients into the dough, mixing on low speed until the dough starts to form. Before the dough thickens, add the chocolate chips, beating until incorporated.
- Roughly Chop 15 Chip Ahoy mini cookies into quarters, add to the dough with 1 heaping cup of Mini Oreos (do not chop). Use a spatula to incorporate into the dough or clean hands.
- Separately, combine 6 Chips Ahoy Minis with ½ cup mini Oreos and crush into a fine crumb in a Ziploc bag or food processor. Set aside.
- Portion out ¼ cup balls of cookie dough (about 3oz each). Roll the dough into a ball and then roll in the crushed cookie crumbs on the top and sides.
- Place 3 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes. The center of the cookie should be slightly underbaked but not too gooey or shiny on top. Once out of the oven, immediately place the candy eyeballs on top. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Blue gel colors: I used a combination of Americolor Royal Blue and Americolor Sky Blue, you could also use Electric Blue. You can buy them individually but both blue colors are in the starter pack.
- Candy Eyes: I used the larger-than-normal-sized eyes (2cm/0.79 inches in diameter).
- Full-size cookies can be used if you can’t the minis. The minis are great because they’re just the right size to incorporate into the dough. I mix them in by hand, so the cookie ends up with larger pieces that aren’t pulverized by the mixer. Full-size Oreo and Chips Ahoy cookies will need to be chopped into pieces about the size of a dime or nickel.
- Storing and Freezing
- Baked cookies: These will stay fresh for up to 4-5 days when stored airtight at room temperature. Store in a single layer to avoid the candy eyes from falling off.
- Freezer: These cookies can be stored frozen for up to 3 months. Make sure to seal them in an airtight container or freezer bag. Defrost frozen cookies at room temperature.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cookie monster cookies, chocolate chip cookies