With creamy, homemade Fruity Pebble ice cream stuffed between two layers of soft vanilla cake, this Fruity Pebbles Ice Cream Cake is a glorious rainbow dessert perfect for all who are kids-at-heart. This easy ice cream cake is perfect for birthday parties and any occasion when you want to put a smile on someone’s face!
For the Cake
- 1 cup (heaping) Fruity Pebble Cereal
- 1 ½ cups (285g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (118 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon (14.8 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup(118 ml) sour cream
- 2 ½ cups (350 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons (11.2 g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
- 1 ¼ cups (296 ml) milk (I use nonfat)
For the Ice Cream
- 8 ounces (226g) full-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups Fruity Pebbles cereal
- 1 ½ cups (354ml) heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup (32g) powdered sugar
- ¼ cup (48g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5f) vanilla extract
For the Whipped Frosting
- 1 ¾ cups (413ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (130g) powdered sugar
Make the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans with Crisco and dust with flour to help easily release the cake after it is baked. I also line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper to ensure they don’t stick.
- Pulse the Fruity Pebble cereal in a food processor a couple of times to break into smaller pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract until well incorporated. Scrape down the bowl as needed. Then add the sour cream and mix to combine.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add half the dry ingredients, and half the milk, beat on low speed just until the flour starts to incorporate. Repeat until all ingredients are added and combined. Stir the Fruity Pebble in using a spatula and scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the two 8-inch pans. Bake at 350° F for 25 to 38 minutes. Check the cakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done. Allow the cake to cool in the pans for 15 minutes. Then gently run a knife around the edges of the cake and flip them out of the pan and onto a rack to cool completely. Once the cake is cooled, you can prepare the ice cream.
Make the Ice Cream
- Pulse the Fruity Pebble cereal in a food processor a couple of times to break it into smaller pieces.
- Prepare a batch of whipped cream. Chill the bowl in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. Beat the heavy whipping cream in the chilled bowl at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add the powdered sugar and continue beating at high speed until stiff peaks form. Set it aside.
- In your mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese on medium-high speed for 2 to 3 minutes until smooth then add the granulated sugar and vanilla extract and continue beating until the sugar is well incorporated, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Fold in the prepared whipped cream and then stir in the Fruity Pebble cereal, mix until well combined.
- Cut off the domes on top of the cake layers so they’re relatively flat. Prepare an 8-inch springform pan Place a cake board on the very bottom of the pan. If you don’t have a springform pan, use the pan that you baked the cake in. Line the whole pan with plastic wrap, then place the cake board in the bottom of the pan.
- Place one layer of cake in the bottom of the pan, then pour the ice cream batter over the cake and spread evenly, and then place the second cake layer inverted on top of the ice cream.
- Wrap the entire cake with plastic wrap twice and freeze the cake for at least 2 to 3 hours until the ice cream is frozen.
Make the Topping
- Prepare the whipping cream. Beat the heavy whipping cream in the chilled bowl at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add the powdered sugar and continue beating at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- To frost the cake, remove it from the pan and place the whipped cream in a large piping bag and pipe it around the outside edge of the cake and on the top. Gently smooth with an angled spatula. Decorate with leftover whipped cream and additional Fruity Pebble Cereal.
- Refreeze for 30-60 minutes before slicing.
Storing Cake: Store your ice cream cake in a cake carrier or another tall airtight container. If the cake has been cut into, cover the exposed inside with plastic wrap to further prevent freezer burn.
To slice: I suggest letting it sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes before slicing and serving it. Alternatively, you can run your knife under hot water and dry it off before you cut each slice.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade ice cream cake, rainbow birthday cake, ice cream cake recipe