A vanilla Fruity Pebble Cake with a no-churn Fruity Pebble Ice Cream and whipped cream frosting.
For the Cake:
- 1 box white or vanilla cake mix
- 4 large egg whites
- ¾ cup buttermilk (or milk)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (3.5 oz) vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups Fruity Pebbles cereal
For the Ice Cream:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces Cool Whip (*see below)
- 1 ½ cups Fruity Pebbles cereal
For the Whipped Frosting:
- 1 ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans with Crisco and dust with flour to help easily release the cake after it is baked. I also line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper to ensure they don’t stick.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix with the egg whites, buttermilk, vegetable oil, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract. Beat all the ingredients together until well mixed. Turn the batter over from the bottom of the bowl to the top to ensure it’s well mixed. Lastly, fold the Fruity Pebbles cereal into the cake batter.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the two 8-inch pans. Bake at 350° F for 25 to 30 minutes. Keep a close eye on the cake after 25 minutes, the edges will start to brown, but you want to be sure the center is baked.
- Check the cakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done. Allow the cake to cool in the pans for 20 to 30 minutes. Then gently run a knife around the edges of the cake and flip them out of the pan and onto a rack to cool completely. Once the cake is cooled, you can prepare the ice cream.
For the Ice Cream:
- Allow the cream cheese to soften at room temperature for about 30 minutes or soften in the microwave. To soften in the microwave, remove the wrapper and place the cream cheese on a plate. Microwave for 15 to 20 seconds.
- In your mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese on medium-high speed for 2 to 3 minutes. Proceed to add the granulated sugar and vanilla extract and continue beating for another 2 to 3 minutes until the sugar is well incorporated, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Fold the Cool Whip (or prepare the whipped cream as noted below) and fold it into the cream cheese filling. Lastly, fold the cereal into the ice cream.
- To build the layers: Tort the top of the cake, cutting off the dome so it is flat on top. Place the bottom layer in the bottom of an 8-inch spring form pan, or in your 8-inch cake pan lined with saran wrap.
- Pour the ice cream batter over the cake and spread evenly and then place the second layer of cake on top.
- Freeze the cake for at least 2 to 3 hours until the ice cream is somewhat frozen so you can easily spread the whipped cream on the outside.
For the Topping:
- Put your mixing bowl and wire whisk in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes until it is completely cold. Beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed for several minutes until it starts to thicken. Add the powdered sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Reserve 1 cup of the prepared whipped cream for the decorative border.
- Spread the remaining whipped cream along the top and edges of the frozen ice cream cake. Then pipe the whipped cream along the borders of the cheesecake.
- Return the cake to the freezer for at least another 2 hours.
Sub the 8 ounces Cool Whip with 1cup heavy whipping cream and ½ cup powdered sugar
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: ice cream cake, birthday cake ice cream, how to make ice cream cake