These homemade Funfetti Cupcakes are the moist, light and fluffy and loaded with sprinkles. Ditch the cake mix, one you’ve made these easy Funfetti Cupcakes, you’ll never go back!
For the cupcakes
- 1 ½ cups (285g) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup (118ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon (14.8ml) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) almond extract
- ¾ cup (177ml) light sour cream
- 2 ½ cups (350g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (7.5g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5g) salt
- 1 cup (236 ml) buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sprinkles
For the frosting
- 1 ½ cups (340g) unsalted butter
- 5 ½ cups (715g) powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) heavy whipping cream
- For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla and almond extract.
- Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add half the dry ingredients and half of the buttermilk and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate.
- Finally add the remaining dry ingredients and buttermilk and beat until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Mix in the sprinkles once the batter is well combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full. Careful not to overfill.
- Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Cool Completely.
- For the frosting: Cut the butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until butter look light in color.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated into butter then add the extracts and mix to combine. Beat for about 60 seconds.
- Next, add an additional 2 cups of powdered sugar and the buttermilk and beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add last 1 cup powdered sugar along with the heavy cream. Beat on low until ingredients start to mix together. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 2-3 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting. Use a large open star tip or 2D piping tip to frost these cupcakes. Garnish with sprinkles.
- Sour cream substitute: Sour cream helps keeps these cupcakes very moist, and thus it cannot be omitted. I recommend substituting the sour cream with non-fat Greek Yogurt if you do not have sour cream.
- Buttermilk substitute: If you don’t have buttermilk, make a batch. In a measuring cup, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar and then fill it up to 1 cup with milk. Let the milk sit for at least 5 minutes until it starts to look curdled on top.
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Baked
Keywords: Funfetti Cupcakes, Homemade funfetti cupcake, Funfetti cupcake recipe