These homemade moist Gingerbread Cupcakes are flavored with ginger, all spice, cloves and a touch of nutmeg. It’s the perfect holiday treat. This Gingerbread Cupcake Recipe is topped with a cinnamon maple whipped cream cheese frosting and garnished with rosemary.
For the cupcake:
- ½ cup (110g) packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup (48g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (59ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup (59m) molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (48g) light sour cream
- 1 ½ cups (210g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons (5g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ½ cup (118ml) milk
For the frosting:
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, cold
- 8 ounces (226g) cream cheese, cold
- 3–4 cups (390-520g) powdered confectionary sugar
- 1 tablespoons (15ml) maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon heavy whipping cream or milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
For the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugars, vegetable oil, eggs, molasses and vanilla extract and sour cream. Beat on medium speed until the well combined. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all remaining dry ingredients. Then, add half the dry ingredients to the batter followed half the milk and beat until it starts to combine.
- Finally add the remaining dry ingredients, mixing on low speed while pouring in the milk and beating until all of the ingredients are well combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Cool Completely.
For the frosting:
- Cut the butter into 1-inch blocks. Beat the butter for 1-2 minutes until it is slightly softened.
- Then add the cream cheese and cream together for 2-3 minutes until they are fluffy and free of lumps, scape down the bowl occasionally.
- Slowly add the confectionary sugar 2 cups at a time, followed by the heavy cream, maple syrup and vanilla extract and beat until desired consistency is reached.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar desired consistency, at least 2 minutes.
- In a large piping bag fitted with a large open round pipping tip, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- The batter will be quite thin. It’s important that you stir the batter after mixing, to ensure everything on the bottom of the bowl is well mixed.
- Sour Cream: You can substitute the light sour cream for Greek yogurt. You can also use full-fat sour cream if needed.
- To make 24 cupcakes simply double the ingredients
- Storage suggestions:If you live in a hot and humid environment then I would suggest that you refrigerate cupcakes that are frosted and allow them to come to room temperature before serving. Otherwise they can be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature.
- Make-ahead:These are best served within 2 days of preparation but will proper storage they can stay fresh for several days. Add the cookie garnish prior to serving.
- Freezing: If needed, flash-freeze the cupcakes on a baking sheet for 15 minutes than transfer them to an air-tight, freezer-safe container. Thaw in the refrigerator for several hours then bring to room temperature prior to serving. If possible, it’s best to store them unfrosted and add the frosting prior to serving.
- Category: Cupcake
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Gingerbread Cupcake, Cream Cheese Frosting, gingerbread recipe, christmas dessert, holiday baking