These Gluten-Free S’mores Cupcakes are chocolate cupcakes baked in a buttery graham cracker crust. They’re filled with chocolate ganache and topped with a light and creamy homemade marshmallow frosting.
For the Crust
- 1 ¼ cups (150g) gluten-free graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons (42g) unsalted butter, melted
For the Cupcakes
- ¾ cups (143g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (59ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (59ml) sour cream
- 1 cup (164g) measure for measure all-purpose gluten-free flour sifted
- ¼ cup (28g) natural cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons (5.6g) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup (157ml) hot brewed coffee
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons (90ml) heavy whipping cream
For the Frosting
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup (190g) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) pure vanilla extract
For the Crust
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Prepare the crust. Grind the gluten-free crackers into a fine crumb using a food processor. Combine with melted butter and stir until well combined.
- Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of the graham cracker mixture into each cupcake liner, and press into the pan with a spoon. Set aside.
For the Cupcakes
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color. Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Alternating adding half the dry ingredients with half the coffee, mixing until combined. Repeat until all ingredients are added. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full. Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Cool Completely.
For the filling
- Combine the chocolate and heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at 50% power for 60-90 seconds. Allow it to sit for about 1 minute before stirring and then stir until it’s completely smooth.
- To fill the cupcakes with the ganache, remove the centers using a cupcake corer, a melon baller or a knife. Fill each one with about 2 teaspoons of ganache. Place a piece of the cupcake you removed back on top of the ganache.
For the frosting
- Separate the egg white from the yolks, and ensure no yolks are mixed in with the whites. Wipe down the inside of your stainless-steel bowl with vinegar to remove any grease.
- Combine egg whites with sugar and cream of tartar in the bowl with a candy thermometer attached. Set the bowl over the top of a pot with 1 ¼ cups water covering the bottom. Place over medium heat.
- Stir constantly with a whisk until the mixture reaches 140°. The sugar should be dissolved in the egg whites.
- Immediately place the mixing bowl on your stand. Using the wire whisk attachment, beat the mixture on medium-high speed until it reaches stiff and glossy peaks. The bowl should be cool to the touch.
- Pipe the cupcakes with a large open star tip or french tip. Toast the meringue with a handheld torch.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baked
Keywords: gluten free cupcakes, gluten-free chocolate cupcakes