These fun and festive Halloween sugar cookies are easy cut-out sugar cookies decorated for the spooky season with homemade vanilla buttercream!
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (95g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tablespoons (30m) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups (300 g) all-purpose flour
- Beat the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until the sugar is dissolved and creamy.
- In a small glass dish, dissolve the baking soda in the milk.
- Add baking soda/milk, vanilla, and egg to the batter. Beat until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Slowly add the salt and the flour ½ cup at a time and mix until a stiff dough forms.
- Form 3 softball-sized balls of dough. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap then chill in the freezer for at least 15 minutes or in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Roll the dough out on a well-floured surface about ¼” thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut the shapes and transfer them to a lined baking sheet. Use parchment paper or a baking mat to help prefer browning on the bottom of the cookie.
- Bake at 350° for 8-12 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost with vanilla buttercream or your frosting of choice.
- The dough can be refrigerated for 2 days, otherwise, I suggest freezing. Remove the dough from the freezer several hours before you intend to use it.
- This batch produces about 24 cut-out cookies depending on the size of your cookie cutters.
- This recipe can easily be doubled for a large batch.
- Nutritional information does not include frosting and is an estimate only.
- Category: Cookie
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: halloween sugar cookies, sugar cookies halloween