Learn How to Make Lemon Curd! Bright, tangy lemon juice and zest combine with butter and sugar in this easy homemade lemon curd recipe.
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ cup (95g) of granulated sugar
- ½ cup (118ml) lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons (56g) salted butter, cut into small cubes
- In a small bowl, using your fingers rub the lemon zest into the granulated sugar, and set aside.
- Place 2 inches of water in a small saucepan, and bring to a simmer.
- In a small heat-proof glass or metal bowl, mix together the lemon sugar and egg until well combined. Mix in the lemon juice, then place the bowl onto the simmering saucepan without touching the water.
- Continuously whisk and cook until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat, and whisk in the butter pieces. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Pour the hot curd through a fine mesh strainer into a jar or bowl to remove any possible lumps. Let this mixture cool on the counter for 1 hour, place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the curd, and store it in the fridge.
- Keep your lemon curd in an airtight jar or container and refrigerate it for up to 1 month or freeze for 3 months.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon curd, lemon curd recipe, how to make lemon curd