This homemade pumpkin pie ice cream is the real deal! It’s a rich and creamy custard base filled with the flavors of real pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice, layered with crunchy Graham cracker crumbs.
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- In a medium saucepan, combine the half-and-half, heavy whipping cream and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently to dissolve the brown sugar or until bubbles form around the edges of the pan.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg yolks, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Gradually whisk about 1/2 cup of the warmed liquid mixture into the eggs and continue to whisk until smooth, work quickly so as not to cook the egg yolks.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the liquid mixture in the saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture coats the back of a large metal spoon, about 4 minutes. Do not boil.
- Strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve into a large bowl, then stir in the bourbon and vanilla.
- Next, whisk the pumpkin into the mixture until thoroughly combined. Cover the surface of the liquid with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours.
- Churn in your ice cream maker until the custard has thickened.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter and stir to combine. As you pour the ice cream into your freezer-safe container, layer in the graham cracker crumbs.
- Pour the liquid into a freezer-safe container and freeze for 3 or more hours.
- Storing: Homemade pumpkin ice cream will last for up to 2 weeks, if stored properly. The best way to store homemade ice cream is in a freezer-safe plastic or Tupperware container.
- Recipe slightly adapted from BHG.com
- Category: Ice Cream
- Method: Ice Cream Maker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin pie ice cream, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin ice cream recipe