Every cupcake decorator needs a versatile Vanilla Frosting recipe! This is my go-to, never-fail basic vanilla buttercream. It’s an easy buttercream frosting recipe made with just 4 ingredients that’s ready in minutes, perfect for piping and decorating.
- 1 1/2 cup (339 g) (3 sticks) unsalted butter, cold.
- 5 cups (650 g) powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons (12 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) heavy whipping cream (or milk)
- Cut the butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally, and beating until the butter look light in color.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated into the butter then add the vanilla extract and mix to combine. Beat for about 60 seconds.
- Next, add an additional 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 3 minutes.
- Add the last 1 cup of powdered sugar along with the heavy whipping cream. Beat on low until the ingredients start to mix together. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 3-5 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting. Fill a piping bag with a tip and some buttercream to decorate.
- Store frosting in an airtight container. This frosting can be stored at room temperature if served within 24 hours. Otherwise, refrigerate until you’re ready to use it.
- This frosting can be made ahead of time and kept refrigerated for 7 days. Store it in an airtight container. Bring the frosting back to room temperature and re-whip the frosting before use.
- To freeze buttercream, seal in an airtight container or bag for up to one month. Thaw to room temperature and rewhip before using.
- Flavor with different extracts or zest of lemon, orange, or lime.
- This makes enough to frost 24 cupcakes
- Category: Frosting
- Method: Stand Mixer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vanilla buttercream frosting, buttercream frosting recipe, easy buttercream frosting