Learn how to melt chocolate chips using these easy methods for the stovetop and microwave. You’ll have silky results every time, without seizing or scorching your chocolate!
- Chocolate chips, up to 2 cups
In the microwave
- Place chocolate chips in a heat-proof, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments, and stir the chocolate every 30 seconds. As the chocolate begins to melt, consider stirring it for a minute or two before returning to the microwave to melt any remaining pieces. Stir until smooth. If only a small portion of chocolate remains to be melted, microwave in 15-second spurts and stir it until smooth.
On the stovetop
- You can melt chocolate chips on the stovetop using a double boiler method. Place a pot filled with 1-2 cups of water on the stovetop over medium-medium/low heat. Place the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl and place it over the pot. Bring the water to a boil and as the water heats, it starts to melt the chocolate. Stir until completely melted and smooth.
- Chocolate chips melt down to approximately half of their starting volume. For example, 2 cups of chocolate chips will yield about 1 cup of melted chocolate.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop and Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to melt chocolate chips, best way to melt chocolate chips, how to melt chocolate