Impress you friends with these luscious Lemon Cream Pie Cupcakes. A fresh vanilla cupcake with a delicate lemon mousse and topped with cream cheese whipped cream.
For the cupcakes
- 1 box Vanilla cake mix
- 4 Egg whites
- ¾ cup Buttermilk or milk
- ⅓ cup Vegetable oil
- ½ cup Sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Rodelle Lemon extract
For the filling:
- 1 pkg Instant lemon pudding (3.4 oz)
- ¾ cup Milk
- 1 cup Heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup Powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle Lemon Extract
For the frosting:
- 8 ounces Cream cheese, cold
- 2 cup Heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup Powdered sugar
- Lemon Zest (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F and line your cupcake pan with baking liners
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, egg whites, buttermilk, vegetable oil, sour cream and lemon extract. Beat on medium speed until all ingredients are well mixed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir from the bottom.
- Divide batter evenly between lined cupcake pan. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cupcake is done. Cool completely.
- For the filling: In a small mixing bowl, combine instant lemon pudding with the milk. Whisk until the pudding is dissolved. Refrigerate the pudding until firm, about 10 minutes.
- Prepare the whipped cream. Put the bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to get them really cold (this step is optional, but a common practice I use.). Pour the heavy whipping cream in the chilled bowl and beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Add the powdered sugar and increase the speed to medium high. Beat until stiff peak form. Add the lemon zest.
- Remove the pudding from refrigerator (after it has set) and gently fold in whipping cream. Place the filling in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate until you’re ready to use.
- For the frosting: beat the cream cheese on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes until cream cheese is smooth and free of lumps. Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Add 3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream. Beat into cream cheese until cream cheese resembles a liquid mixture.
- Next add the remaining heavy whipping cream and beat on medium-high speed. Slowly add the powdered sugar and beat until still peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble the cupcakes, remove the middle of the cupcake using a spoon, knife or cupcake corer. Cut off the tip of the Ziplock bag and fill the center with the lemon mouse filling. Top with cream cheese whipped cream using a large open star tip. Sprinkle with lemon zest if desired.