Deep fried donuts with a brown butter maple glaze, bacon and chocolate sauce.
- 1 Bottle Vegetable oil (48oz)
- 1 Pkg Bacon
- 1 Sleeve Pillsbury Grands Homestyle Biscuits (48oz)
For the glaze
- 1 C Powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 C Unsalted butter, browned
- 2 tbsp Pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Milk
- Hot Fudge sauce for drizzling
- In a medium sized pot, empty a full container of vegetable oil. Attach a candy thermometer to the size of the pot. Heat oil over medium heat until it reach 360-375° F. Turn your heat down slightly to prevent the oil from getting too hot. Use extreme caution, oil will be very hot.
- While oil is heating, preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with tin foil. Make sure it is a baking sheet with raised edges. Spread bacon out over baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes until desired crispness. About halfway through, remove from oven and pour out excess oil. Caution, bacon and oil will be very hot! When bacon is done, put on a paper towel to absorb excess grease. When cooled, chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- Remove biscuits from container and cut into fourths lengthwise. With your hands, roll each cutting into a long string, about the thickness of a pencil. Cut in half if necessary.
- Once oil is heated, slowly drop biscuits into oil. Bake for about 20-30 second a side until golden brown. Remove with a pair of tongs and set on a paper towel lined plate to drain the excess oil. When finished deep frying, leave your candy thermometer in the oil until it is completely cooled.
For the glaze
- Sift powered sugar. This step is necessary to create a smooth glaze.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Once melted, continue to stir until butter turns a golden brown.
- Pour melted butter over powdered sugar. Add maple syrup and milk.
- Whisk until smooth.
- For a thicker glaze, add only 1 tablespoon of milk instead of two. Or add additional powered sugar. To make glaze thinner, add additional milk.
- I prefer to use a Hot fudge sauce (such as Hershey’s or Smuckers) to drizzle over the fries. Heat fudge sauce in the microwave for 30-60 seconds until thin.
- To assemble the fries, please bottom layer of donut fries on the plate and drizzle maple glaze and chocolate syrup. Sprinkle with bacon. Repeat for as many layers as you want to make.
A whole canister of biscuits will serve a crowd. You may want to double the glaze recipe if you make the whole canister of biscuits at one time.