This Lucky Charms Marshmallow Ice Cream recipe is a cereal milk flavored homemade vanilla ice cream that is layered with marshmallow fluff and Lucky Charms marshmallows.
- 1 cup (236ml) whole milk
- ¾ cup (143g) granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup Lucky Charms cereal (just the cereal)
- 2 cups (473ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (13 oz jar) marshmallow creme
- 1 cup Lucky Charms dehydrated marshmallows
Prep: Pre-freeze your ice cream maker attachment as directed. Sometimes this needs to be done a day in advance, so double check jus tto be sure.
Separate the cereal: Separate the dehydrated marshmallows from the Lucky Charms cereal. You’ll need 1 cup of the cereal itself and 1 cup of the marshmallows to mix into the ice cream.
Heat the milk and sugar: In a medium-sized saucepan, heat 1 cup whole milk with ¾ cups sugar and a pinch of salt. Stir over medium-high heat just until it starts to bubble and the sugar is dissolved. Let the mixture cool for at least 30 minutes.
Grind up the cereal: Take 1 cup of the Lucky Charms cereal, without the marshmallows and pulse in a food processor until it’s a fine crumb consistency.
Combine with the cream: Next combine the 2 cups of heavy whipping cream together with the milk mixture, cereal crumbs and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine then refrigerate until it’s the mixture is cooled completely.
Strain the cream: When you are ready to make the ice cream, strain the liquid base through a fine sieve to catch the cereal that did not absorb into the milk.
Churn the cream: Once the ice cream maker is chilled and ready to go pour the cream base into the ice cream maker and start churning. Chun on low speed for 10 minutes and increase to medium speed for another 5-10 minutes until the ice cream solidifies to a thick, soft-serve consistency.
Mix in the marshmallow: Prepare a freezer-safe container and you’ll divide the ice cream into thirds. Layer the bottom of the pan with 1/3 of the ice cream, then add a few spoonsful of marshmallow creme and gently swirl with a knife. Then sprinkle in 1/3 of the Lucky Charms marshmallows. Repeat this step two more times. You can use as many marshmallow and cereal charms as desired.
Chill: Freeze for 4-6 hours before serving.
- – For this recipe, I purchased a 13oz jar of marshmallow creme and used about 3/4 of the jar for this recipe. You can add as much or as little as you would like
- If you prefer not to use whole milk and heavy cream, I suggest using all heavy cream.
- I would say this is best within the first 3 days, but you can store this in a freezer-safe container for up to one week.
- Category: Ice Cream
- Method: Ice Cream Maker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cereal milk ice cream, ice cream with marshmallows, marshmallow ice cream,