This delicious french toast recipe is perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch. But what makes it special is the addition of orange juice and champagne, giving it a delightful mimosa flavor!
For the Berries
- 3 C Mixed berries
- 1 C Champagne
For the whipped cream (optional)
- 1 C Heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp Powdered sugar
For the French Toast
- 1 Large Baguette loaf
- 4 Large eggs, scrambled
- 1/4 C Milk
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg (optional)
- Zest from 1 large orange
- Juice from 1 large orange
For the syrup
- 1/4 C Butter, melted
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1/2 C Sugar
- 1/4 C Champagne
- 1 tbsp Orange juice
- Prepare the berries by soaking them in Champagne for about 30 minutes. Combine fruit and champagne in a deep dish and set aside.
- Prepare the whipped cream by combining heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar in your mixing bowl. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 3-4 minutes. Set whipped cream in the fridge until ready.
- To prepare the French toast, slice the baguette into 1” slices.
- Combine eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange zest and orange juice in a medium sized bowl. Soak bread for a few minutes on each side.
- Preheat pan on medium-high heat. Lightly spray with cooking spray. Place soaked bread into pan and cook for about 1 minute on each side until slightly brown. Remove bread from pan and set aside until all bread is cooked.
- To prepare the syrup, melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add water and sugar and whisk to combine. Boil on medium high for 5 minutes until bubbling and thick, stir occasionally to prevent from burning.
- Remove the syrup from heat and stir in champagne and orange juice. You can use the champagne that the berries are soaking in!
- To assemble the French toast, drain the liquid from the berries. Place French toast on plate and sprinkle with champagne soaked berries. Graciously drizzle with glaze. Top with whipped cream or sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired. Serve warm.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: best french toast, homemade french toast, brunch ideas