Nana’s Sausage bread is a pizza dough stuffed with spicy sausage, ricotta, parmesan and egg filling. Serve with a warm with pizza sauce. Perfect for parties or even breakfast!
- 1 loaf refrigerated pizza dough (13.8oz)
- 1 lb ground spicy Italian sausage
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese, drained
- 4 large eggs, scrambled
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tablespoons butter, melted
- Garlic Salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Roll the pizza dough flat onto parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Use a rolling pin to thin the dough out, especially near the edges. The dough should group about 1.5x the original size.
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned and slightly crispy on the edges, chopping into smaller pieces as it cooks. Drain excess grease and set aside to cool.
- Drain the ricotta and cook in a large skillet over medium-high heat, allowing the excess water to evaporate.
- As the ricotta is cooking, add the scrambled eggs, mixing with the ricotta and continue heating until the eggs are cooked and season with salt and pepper.
- Finally, add the mozzarella and parmesan cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. Spread the mixture over the pizza dough and then sprinkle with the cooked sausage.
- Starting on the outside edge, fold the edge of the pizza dough over and start to roll the dough into a log, using your hands to keep the roll tight.
- Transfer the parchment paper with the pizza dough onto a baking sheet . Brush the top of the dough with the melted butter and sprinkle with garlic salt. Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes. After 20 minutes, your dough will start to brown. Cover with aluminum foil. About 2-3 minutes prior to pulling out of the oven, sprinkle the top with about 1 tablespoons of parmesan cheese.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before slicing. Serve warm. This goes great with pizza or spaghetti sauce.
- Don’t over roll the dough: If you start to see thin spots or any tearing, do not roll it out anymore, this will make it difficult to roll the final dough once you add the toppings.
- Add veggies. Feel free to customize this recipe a bit and add whatever veggies you like to the filling. Try with diced peppers, onions or mushrooms.
- To Reheat: It is best to reheat this bread in an oven that’s been preheated to 400°F. While the oven is preheating, take your dough out of the fridge. Heat for 10-15 minutes until the filling is warm. You can cover with foil to help prevent the crust from cooking again.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sausage Bread, Pizza Bread