These spiralized Pinwheel Cookies are soft-baked layered vanilla and chocolate dough. Try these festive Christmas Cookies for your cookie baskets.
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (95g) granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons (44ml) milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla
- 1 ½ cups (210g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons (5g) baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces chocolate, melted
- Soften the butter to room temperature or microwave for 15-20 seconds until softened but not melted.
- Combine the butter with the sugar and beat on medium speed until well creamed together.
- Add the milk, egg, and vanilla extract. Mix until it’s well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly add into batter and beat on medium low speed until well combined and dough forms.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring occasionally until melted and smooth.
- Divide the dough in half (about 8.5 oz each) and mix the chocolate into one half of the dough.
- Turn each dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out until is 1/8 inch thick into a rectangle shape. The shapes should be similar in size.
- Place the chocolate dough over the regular dough and gently press together with the rolling pin. Trim excess edges.
- Roll the dough into a log, tightly wrap in plastic wrap. Chill the dough for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator or 1 hour in the freezer.
- Slice the dough into ¼ inch thick slices. Bake cold, placing on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Bake at 425°F for 5-7 minutes.
- The dough will be tacky, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and flour your hands, gently turn the dough to coat in the flour, which will make it much easier to work with.
- In my oven 6 minutes was the sweet spot. 7 minutes was too long. I recommend baking on a silicone baking mat to prevent the bottoms from burning, and transfer them immediately to a wire rack to cool.
- Make sure the dough is plenty cold when you slice into it and I also recommend baking these cold. See more tips in this blog post.
- Category: Cookies
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 61
- Sugar: 5.4g
- Sodium: 16mg
- Fat: 1.1g
- Saturated Fat: .6g
- Carbohydrates: 11.6g
- Fiber: .4g
- Protein: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 8.1mg