These Pumpkin Pecan Pie Cupcakes are the perfect fall treat. The moist pumpkin cupcake is filled with a bourbon pecan pie filling and topped with a buttercream frosting with hints of brown sugar, maple syrup and touch of cinnamon.
For the cupcakes
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk (I use nonfat)
For the filling
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 1/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
For the frosting
- 3 sticks unsalted butter
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon bourbon, optional
- dash of cinnamon
- For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Next mix in the pumpkin and beat until well combined.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all remaining dry ingredients. Then, add half the dry ingredients to the batter followed half the milk and beat until it starts to combine.
- Finally add the remaining dry ingredients, mixing on low speed while pouring in the milk and beating until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Cool Completely.
- For the filling: In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the butter and brown sugar. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until the butter is melted. Add the vanilla and flour whisk to combine.
- Next add the corn syrup and heavy whipping cream and heat the mixture just until it starts to lightly bubble. Stir frequently.
- Temper the egg yolks by taking ¼ cup of the heated liquid and slowly mix it into the beaten eggs. Once mixed, pour the eggs back into the saucepan and immediately stir the eggs into the mixture to prevent them from cooking. Continue stirring.
- Once the mixture has thickened and is bubbling, remove it from the heat and stir in the bourbon and chopped pecans. Allow the mixture to cool prior to adding to the cupcakes.
- For the frosting: Cut the butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until butter look light in color.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated into butter then add the brown sugar and maple syrup and mix to combine. Beat for about 60 seconds.
- Next, add an additional 2 cups of powdered sugar and the heavy cream, vanilla and bourbon and beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add last 2 cup powdered sugar. Beat on low until ingredients start to mix together. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 2-3 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting. If you frosting is too thick, add an additional tablespoons of heavy cream.
- To assemble the cupcakes, remove the centers using a cupcake corer, a melon baller or a knife. Fill each one with 1 heaping tablespoons of the pecan filling. Use a large french tip or frost these cupcakes. Garnish with crushed pecans.
- Prepare the filling first to allow enough time for it to cool before filling your cupcakes.
- The cupcakes can be prepared in advance, as can the filling.
- Category: Cupcakes
Keywords: pumpkin cupcakes