These Red Velvet Hi Hat Cookies are a soft-baked red velvet cake mix cookies topped with marshmallow frosting and a coating of chocolate.
For the cookies
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup red velvet cake mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate cocoa powder, such as Hersheys
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Red food color (optional)
For the frosting
- 2 egg white (from large eggs)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the magic shell
- 11 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cake mix, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder. Stir and set aside.
- Soften butter in the microwave for 15 seconds. Combined softened butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Reduce mixer to low speed and slowly add dry ingredients. Once combine, increase speed to medium high and beat for 1-2 minutes until soft dough forms. Add red food coloring for a deeper red color if desired.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of cookie dough onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Gently press the top of the cookies down with the back of spoon or spatula. Bake at 350° F for 10-12 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the pan for several minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- For the marshmallow frosting: In a stand mixer using a whisk attachment, beat the 2 egg whites with salt until foamy and frothy.
- Gradually add sugar and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Heat the corn syrup in a glass microwave-safe dish until it bubbling (almost boiling). Then slowly pour the corn syrup over egg white mixture, a little at a time while beating on high speed until harder peaks form. Finally add the vanilla extract and beat until glossy.
- For the magic shell, Combine chocolate chips and vegetable oil in a tall, microwave safe dish or cup. Melt for 45 seconds and stir until smooth. If not completely melted, microwave for another 15 seconds. Magic shell should be completely smooth and easily run off a spoon.
- Fill a large piping bag, fitting with an open round tip (or slice off the end) and pipe marshmallow frosting on cooled cookies.
- Quickly dip the frosting in magic shell and tap off excess chocolate on the side of the dish. Immediately flip cookies over and allow chocolate to harden. Garnish with sprinkles if desired prior to the chocolate settling.
- Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for three days.
- In order to achieve round cookies, I used a medium cookie scoop. After scooping, be sure to press down the top of the dough slightly to create a flat top.
- The marshmallow frosting is from Climbing Grier Mountain
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Red Velvet Cookies, Cake Mix Cookies, Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies, Valentine's Day Cookies