Turn your favorite childhood snack into a fun and easy cupcake! Rice Krispie Treat Frosting is a sweet but simple frosting recipe made with marshmallow cream, Rice Krispies cereal and chopped cereal treats.
For the cereal treats
- 1 box (12oz) Rice Krispie cereal
- 1 bag (10oz) large marshmallows
For the frosting
- 3 cups Rice Krispie cereal, ground into a fine crumb
- 1 1/2 cup (339 g) unsalted butter, cold
- 4–5 cups (780g) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons (45 ml) heavy whipping cream (or milk)
- 1 tablespoon (10ml) pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 jar (7oz) Kraft Jet puffed marshmallow cream
- 2 cups chopped prepared Rice Krispie treats
- Prepare a batch of Rice Krispie treats according to the instructions on the box in a 9×13 inch pan. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally, beating until the butter look light in color.
- Using a food processor, grind 3 cups of Rice Krispies cereal into fine crumbs. Add to the butter and mix until combined, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Next add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated into the butter then add the vanilla extract and mix to combine. Beat for about 60 seconds. Then add an additional 2 cups of powdered sugar with the heavy cream and a pinch of salt. Beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 3 minutes.
- Finally, add the marshmallow cream and beat until combined. If the frosting feels too thin, add an additional cup of powdered sugar.
- Finely chop about 2 cups of the prepared Rice Krispie Treats to be about the size of a dime. Mix into prepared frosting. Use a large cookie scoop to frost the cupcakes and top with additional chopped crispy treats.
- Category: Frosting
- Method: Stand Mixer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Rice Krispie treats, Frosting recipe