These Salted Caramel Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe is so simple and so delicious. These mouthwatering cookies are soft and chewy in the middle, swirled with salted caramel, and finished with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine caramels, milk and sea salt. Microwave in 20 second increments, stirring each time. Caramel will be very hot and can burn easily. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt. All the caramel to cool.
- Slice the butter into cubes and tet the butter sit on the counter for 20 minutes or so. Combine the softened butter with the brown and granulated sugar. Beat on medium speed until well combined, 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the eggs and vanilla extract and continue beating until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, salt (1 tsp) and baking soda. Stir to combine and slowly add the dry ingredients into the dough, mixing on low speed until dough starts to form.
- Before the dough thickens, add the chocolate chips. Beat a couple of times until they start to incorporate.
- Once the caramel is cooled, add to cookie dough. Beat just until combined.
- Pre-scoop the dough using a large cookie scoop and place on a sheet pan. Sprinkle with flakey sea salt. Refrigerate for at least one hour and up to 24 hours in advance. Remove each batch 10-15 minutes before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet. Bake for 11-13 minutes. The center of the cookie should be slightly under baked but not too gooey. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Refrigerate the dough: These must be refrigerated for a minimum of one hour, but the longer the better.
- Fixing cookies that spread: When your cookies come out of the oven and they do spread or are misshaped, take a flat edge, such as a knife and press the edges of the cookie back towards the middle of the cookie, shaping it into a circle.
- Storing baked cookies: Keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days.
- Freezing baked cookies: Place on a cookie sheet with layers of parchment paper in between each layer. Once frozen transfer to an airtight container.
- Freezing cookie dough: Pre scoop the dough as usual. Flash freeze on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet for about 30 minutes until the dough is firm. Transfer to an airtight container with parchment paper between the layers of cookie dough.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: oatmeal cookies, cookie recipe