My Almond Cookies are crisp on the edges and soft and chewy in the center. They are loaded with almond flavor and definitely remind me of sugar cookies.
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups (380g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) almond extract
- 3 cups (420g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (2g) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (2g) cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon (1.2g) salt (optional-see notes)
- Sliced Almonds
- Combine the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed until well creamed together.
- Add the eggs and almond extract. Mix into butter and sugar until the eggs are well beaten.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Slowly add into batter and beat on medium low speed until well combined and dough forms.
- Use a large cookie scoop (3 tbsp) and scoop cookie dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place 5-6 sliced almonds on top of the cookies. Refrigerate the dough for a minimum of 30 minutes, but the longer the better.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Place about 2 inches apart and bake at 350° F for 11-13 minutes. Allow cookie to cool on the baking sheet for several minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely
- Make ahead and storage options: Prepare the dough ahead of time and leave it in the refrigerator or freezer. If it’s more than 48 hours, I recommend freezing the dough in an airtight container. Thaw prior to baking .Finished cookies can be frozen and stored in an airtight container
- Do not skip the chill time, otherwise your cookies with be very flat
- The original recipe did not call for salt, however some people think that a little bit of salt helps cut the sweetness, so it’s listed as optional. It’s not a required ingredient.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: almond cookies, almond flavored sugar cookies, almond butter cookies, almond cookie recipe