This Homemade Apple Pie Filling recipe is quick and easy, with only 6 ingredients! Made from sweet cinnamon apples caramelized right on the stovetop.
- 3 medium apples, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons (28g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon (9g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons (15ml) water
- Peel and dice the apples into small pieces (about the size of a dime) and squeeze a lemon over top and stir to combine.
- Combine the dry ingredients and then toss together with the apples until fully coated. Pour the maple syrup over top and gently stir.
- Heat apples on the stove over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until soft. Stir occasionally. You want the apples to be soft. If the apples are sticking to the pan add 1-2 tablespoons of water to the saucepan as needed. Set aside and allow to cool, refrigerating if necessary.
- If you need a large batch, use 5 apples and double all the dry ingredients!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple pie filling, apple pie filling recipe, how to make apple pie filling, stovetop apple pie filling