This Strawberry Cheesecake Poke cake is similar to a tres leches cake. The vanilla cake is filled with sweetened condensed milk and it’s topped with a fresh strawberry sauce and cream cheese whipped cream.
For the cake
- 1 box White or vanilla cake mix (15 oz)
- Ingredients listed on the box (water, oil, eggs, etc)
- 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
For the strawberry sauce
- 1 lb Strawberries (16 oz), rinsed
- ¼ cup (48g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (8g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (59ml) water
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) lemon juice
For the whipped cream
- 1 pkg (8oz) full-fat cream cheese
- 2 cups (473ml) heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups (260g) Powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine the cake mix according to the ingredients on the box. Beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Bake cake in a 9×13” pan for 20-22 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, you cake is done. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- While the cake is still warm, take the end of a wooden spoon or another round object and poke holes all over the top of your cake. Pour the can of sweetened condensed milk all over top of the cake and spread gently.
- For the strawberry sauce: Rinse the strawberries and chop into quarters and again in half.
- In a medium-sized sauce pan, combine strawberries with the flour and sugar, toss to combine. Add the water and lemon juice; stir well.
- Cook over medium-high heat until mixture starts to boil and strawberries are softened, gently smash strawberries to create a sauce. Once boiling, continue cooking for about 10 minutes to thicken. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Pour strawberries sauce over top of the cake and refrigerate until cake and toppings are completely cooled.
- For the topping: Place your mixing bowl in the freezer or fridge 5-10 minutes before starting. Beat the cream cheese on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes until cream cheese is smooth and free of lumps. Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Slowly drizzle in the heavy whipping cream and continue beating until the cream cheese resembles a liquid mixture.
- Continue to add the remaining heavy whipping cream and beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat until still peaks form. Use immediately and keep refrigerated.
- If you’d like to make a homemade cake, try my Vanilla Cake Recipe
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Poke Cake, Strawberry Poke Cake, Strawberry Cheesecake Cake