Strawberry Jello poke cake is an easy strawberry dessert made from rich vanilla cake, sweet Strawberry Jello, and fluffy whipped cream. Make your cake from scratch or use your favorite boxed cake mix!
For the cake:
- 2 cups (380g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (118 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon (14.8 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup(118 ml) light sour cream
- 2 ½ cups (350 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons (11.2 g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
- 1 ¼ cups (296 ml) milk
For the toppings:
- 1 package (3.4oz) instant Strawberry Jello
- 3/4 cups (177ml) hot water
- 1 ½ cups (354ml) heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons (81g) powdered sugar
- Fresh strawberries for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed. Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add half the dry ingredients followed by half of the milk and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate.
- Finally, add the remaining dry ingredients and milk and continue beating until all of the ingredients are well combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Pour the batter into a 9-inch by 13-inch pan and bake at 350°F for 28-32 minutes. Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done. Cool completely.
- Take a fork and poke holes over the top of the cake.
- For the filling: In a small mixing bowl, combine the instant jello with the water and whisk together until the powdered mix is dissolved.
- Pour the liquid pudding mix over top of the cake, and try to fill the holes with the pudding mix. Refrigerate the cake until the pudding is firm, about 10 minutes.
- For the whipped topping: Place the mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to chill
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream thickens to soft peaks.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and continue beating at high speed until stiff peaks start to form. Spread the whipped cream over the top of the cake. Garnish with fresh strawberries.
- You can use a cake mix instead of making a homemade vanilla cake
- Sour cream: You can use any type of sour cream, but if you don’t have sour cream, I recommend a nonfat Greek yogurt as a substitute.
- Jello mix: If you can’t find instant strawberry jello, you can use an alternative flavor or you can use cook and serve, but the jello should be poured over the cake when it’s a liquid consistency.
- For the topping: Substitute Cool Whip for the topping instead of making whipped cream.
- Storage and make ahead options: You can make the cake itself up to 2 days in advance, store in an airtight container on the counter but It’s best to add the whipped cream and berry toppings the day of or day prior to serving. This cake must be stored in the refrigerator once the topping has been added. If your cake pan doesn’t have a lid, tightly wrap it in plastic.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry jello poke cake, strawberry jello cake, poke cake recipe