- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups large oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or sub all-purpose)
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into ½” pieces
- 4 cups fresh, diced strawberries
- 3 cups frozen, chopped rhubarb (or sub fresh – see recipe notes*)
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9×13” pan with tin foil or parchment paper, lightly greased. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, oats and flour until mixed. Add the butter and mix with an electric mixer, a pastry cutter or your hands until combined (dough will have the consistency of cookie dough – it won’t be crumbly).
- Set aside 1 packed cup of the oatmeal cookie mixture. Press the rest into the bottom of the prepared pan, covering the bottom entirely. Bake bottom crust for 10-20 minutes, until dry and golden.
- In the same bowl you used to mix your oats, combine your strawberries, rhubarb, corn starch and sugar. Spread on top of crust and crumble the remaining oat mixture on top – it will not cover the top completely. Press down the oat mixture slightly.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until filling is thickened and bubbling and crumble is golden.
- Cool to room temperature. I highly recommend chilling before cutting – they will set completely and cut more cleanly. Store in the refrigerator.
I only had frozen rhubarb available. You can easily substitute fresh but it won’t release as much liquid as it bakes, so you maybe need to reduce the cornstarch.
**Recipe updated June 2017**