Coated in powdered sugar and filled with your favorite jam, these soft and chewy Thumbprint Cookies are a Christmas classic! They’re easy to make and can be customized with whatever flavors you’re craving.
- 13 tablespoons (184g) unsalted butter- at room temperature
- ¼ cup (48g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups (350g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (65g) powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (87g) ground walnuts
- ½ cup jam flavor of your choice (I recommend blackberry with raspberry jam)
- ½ cup (65g) powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a stand mixer, combine the butter with the sugar and beat on medium speed until well creamed together.
- Next, add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Then add the remaining dry ingredients, including the nuts, and beat until the dough forms.
- Use a medium cookie scoop (1 tablespoon size), to portion out the dough, then use your hands and roll each one into a ball. Place the cookie on the baking sheet and press into the cookie to make a well using either your thumb or a round kitchen tool.
- Bake one tray at a time for 15 to 18 minutes, until the bottom is lightly golden. Remove from oven and let them cool completely.
- Either add a spoonful of jam or roll them in powdered sugar and then add the jam.
- Finely ground nuts: In order to prevent the cookie dough from cracking when you press down in the middle, be sure the nuts are finely ground up. Any large chunks of nuts tend to make the edges of the cookies crack. If you do find the edges have cracked, simply reroll them.
- To Store: Place cookies in an airtight container at room temperature or chilled. They’ll stay fresh for up to 3 days on the counter and for up to 5 in the fridge.
- To Freeze: Freeze unfilled cookies in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw on the counter before filling and enjoying.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: thumbprint cookies, jam cookies, raspberry thumbprint cookies