These award-winning Triple Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes re-imagine fudgy brownies in the form of an over-the-top cupcake! A rich and moist chocolate cake base is topped with creamy brownie mix frosting, then finished off with brownie chunks and hot fudge.
For the Cupcakes
- 1 box Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Cake mix (14oz)
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Frosting
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder (I used Hersey’s Special Dark)
- 1 1/4 cups powdered brownie mix (from a box)
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- Hot fudge sauce for garnish
- Brownie chunks for garnish
Make the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pans with 24 cupcake liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Beat on medium-high speed until all ingredients are well blended.
- Divide the batter evenly, filling each liner about 2/3 full and bake for 14 to 16 minutes until the cupcakes are set.
- Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely after removing from the oven.
Make the Frosting & Assemble
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter at a medium-high speed for approximately 5 minutes until the butter is almost white. Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, sift the cocoa powder and brownie mix together. Slowly add to the butter and beat until combined.
- Continue to slowly add the powdered sugar while beating on a medium speed. The frosting will become very thick. Alternate adding the milk and vanilla extract with the powdered sugar to maintain a smooth consistency. Continue to beat the frosting on high speed for 2-3 minutes.
- Once you have added all of your powdered sugar, add your corn syrup and continue to beat until well combined.
- Pipe the frosting on the cupcakes using a large open star tip. Top with 3 small pieces of brownie and drizzle with hot fudge sauce.
- Frosting recipe slightly adapted from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
- If you don’t want to use a cake mix, try these with homemade chocolate cupcakes instead
- If you are worried about consuming raw flour in the brownie mix, Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the flour on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for approximately 10 minutes, or until the temperature of the flour reaches 160°F.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: brownie frosting, brownie cupcakes, chocolate frosting