Triple Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes are a rich chocolate cupcake with brownie batter frosting and topped with brownie pieces and chocolate ganache. This is my all-time favorite chocolate cupcake!
For the cupcakes
- 1 box Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Cake mix (14oz)
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sweetened dark cocoa powder (I used Hersey’s Special Dark)
- 1 1/4 cups powdered brownie mix (from a box)
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- Hot fudge sauce for garnish
- Brownie chunks for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line cupcake pans with 24 cupcake liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Beat on medium–high speed until all ingredients are well blended.
- Divide the batter evenly, filling each liner about 2/3 full and bake for 14 to 16 minutes until the cupcakes are set.
- Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely after removing from the oven.
- For the frosting: Using an electric mixer, beat the butter at a medium-high speed for approximately 5 minutes until the butter is almost white. Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, sift cocoa powder and brownie mix together. Slowly add to the butter and beat until combined.
- Continue to slowly add the powdered sugar while beating on a medium speed. The frosting will become very thick. Alternate adding the milk and vanilla extract with the powdered sugar to maintain a smooth consistency. Continue to beat the frosting on high speed for 2-3 minutes.
- Once you have added all of your powdered sugar, add your corn syrup and continue to beat until well combined.
- Pipe the frosting on the cupcakes using a large open star tip. Top with 3 small pieces of brownie and drizzle with hot fudge sauce.
- Cupcake recipe adapted from The Cake Mix Doctor. For a homemade chocolate cupcake, I suggest this recipe.
- Frosting recipe slightly adapted from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
- For the brownie topping, you can either buy store bought brownies and slice them up or make a small batch of brownies in a 9×9 pan
- Some people have asked if it’s safe to eat the frosting due to the raw brownie mix. If you prefer, you can heat treat the brownie mix.