This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
Triple Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes are a rich chocolate cupcake with brownie batter frosting and topped with brownie pieces and chocolate ganache. This is my favorite chocolate cupcake of all time!
This post has been updated in 2018.
This recipe for Triple Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes is from the very early days of my blog, all the way back in 2013 and I’ve been making it for years. Way back when, I even made these for a local cancer fundraiser and it won best tasting cupcake.
Triple Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes are a rich chocolate cupcake with brownie batter frosting and topped with brownie pieces and chocolate ganache. These are SERIOUS chocolate cupcakes!
Even though this recipe calls for cake mix, you could certainly make the chocolate cupcakes from scratch using your favorite chocolate cake recipe. I’ve made the cupcake recipe from The Cake Mix Doctor more times than I can even count. The additions of sour cream and vanilla extract make a super light and fluffy cupcake.
You’ll notice there is quite a bit of frosting on this cupcake. That is very much intentional.
The secret to any amazing frosting is to whip the butter using the paddle attachment of your mixer for several minutes prior to adding any of the dry ingredients. I also recommend doing this periodically when adding the dry ingredients because it will only improve the light and fluffy texture.
I originally found the recipe for the brownie batter frosting from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen . The frosting has a little bit of a grainy texture, which is reminiscent of a true brownie batter.
You’ll notice this recipe uses a combination of cocoa powder and brownie mix. The brownie mix is from a store-bought box mix, but you could certainly use brownie mix from scratch. The brownie mix on its own isn’t enough chocolate flavor, so the addition of the coca powder helps intensify the flavor.
Some people have asked if it’s safe to eat the frosting due to the raw brownie mix. If you prefer, you can heat treat the brownie mix.
These Triple Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes are topped with chunks of brownies and hot fudge sauce (or chocolate ganache). I usually make a small batch of brownies and then just cut them up for the topping, but I’ve also purchased pre-made brownies at the store, which reduces the overall prep time and dishes!
You can buy small batch brownie mixes that are baked in an 8-inch or 9-inch pan. You will have some leftover brownies, but that’s never a bad thing!
Aren’t these Triple Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes eye-catching? I swear, no other chocolate cupcake with ever be the same again.
Follow Beyond Frosting:
If you love no-bake recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, No-Bake Treats!Print
Triple Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes are a rich chocolate cupcake with brownie batter frosting and topped with brownie pieces and chocolate ganache. This is my all-time favorite chocolate cupcake!
For the cupcakes
- 1 box Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Cake mix (14oz)
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sweetened dark cocoa powder (I used Hersey’s Special Dark)
- 1 1/4 cups powdered brownie mix (from a box)
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- Hot fudge sauce for garnish
- Brownie chunks for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line cupcake pans with 24 cupcake liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Beat on medium–high speed until all ingredients are well blended.
- Divide the batter evenly, filling each liner about 2/3 full and bake for 14 to 16 minutes until the cupcakes are set.
- Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely after removing from the oven.
- For the frosting: Using an electric mixer, beat the butter at a medium-high speed for approximately 5 minutes until the butter is almost white. Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, sift cocoa powder and brownie mix together. Slowly add to the butter and beat until combined.
- Continue to slowly add the powdered sugar while beating on a medium speed. The frosting will become very thick. Alternate adding the milk and vanilla extract with the powdered sugar to maintain a smooth consistency. Continue to beat the frosting on high speed for 2-3 minutes.
- Once you have added all of your powdered sugar, add your corn syrup and continue to beat until well combined.
- Pipe the frosting on the cupcakes using a large open star tip. Top with 3 small pieces of brownie and drizzle with hot fudge sauce.
- Cupcake recipe adapted from The Cake Mix Doctor. For a homemade chocolate cupcake, I suggest this recipe.
- Frosting recipe slightly adapted from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
- For the brownie topping, you can either buy store bought brownies and slice them up or make a small batch of brownies in a 9×9 pan
- Some people have asked if it’s safe to eat the frosting due to the raw brownie mix. If you prefer, you can heat treat the brownie mix.
You might also like: