These adorable Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies are decorated with vanilla buttercream and also vanilla icing. The vanilla icing is a swirled marble sugar cookie also known as a galaxy theme. These sugar cookies are a classic roll out cookie, it’s soft baked and not overly sweet cookie.
For the cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (95g)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (350 g)
For the buttercream
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, cold.
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (clear is best if you’re coloring the frosting)
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
For the marble icing
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- Gel icing colors
- For the cookies: Beat the butter and sugar on medium high speed until the sugar is dissolved and creamy.
- In a small glass dish, dissolve the baking soda in the milk.
- Add baking soda/milk, vanilla and egg to the butter. Beat until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Slowly add the salt and the flour ½ cup at a time and mix until a stiff dough forms.
- Form 3 softball size balls of dough. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap then chill in the freezer for at least 15 minutes or in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Roll the dough out on a well-floured surface about ¼” thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut the shapes and transfer to a lined baking sheet. Use parchment paper or a baking mat to help prefer browning on the bottom of the cookie.
- Bake at 350° for 8-12 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the buttercream: Cut the butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until butter look light in color.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated into butter then add 2 tsp of vanilla extract and mix to combine. Beat for about 60 seconds.
- Next, add an additional 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 3 minutes.
- Add last 1 cup powdered sugar along with 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract . Beat on low until ingredients start to mix together. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 3-5 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting.
- Dye frosting with desired gel colors and divide into your piping bags.
- For the marble icing: Combine the sifted powdered sugar and milk in a bowl and whisk until well combined. If needed, add additional milk to thin out the frosting. If too thin, add an additional 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Then Whisk in the corn syrup.
- Set aside 1/4 cup of the white icing. Add a small drop of your gel colors to the icing and gently swirl with a toothpick.
- Gently dip each cookie into the icing and then tilt the cookie to the side to allow excess icing the drip off. Place on a silicone baking mat or parchment paper and allow to dry completely.
- These are mini cookies, this recipe made approximately 36 cookies. Otherwise it will make 18-24 regular sized cookie depending on your cookie cutter. The cookie recipe can easily be doubled for larger batches
- You can decorate with the buttercream OR the icing. It’s one or the other, not both
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sugar Cookies, Valentine's Day Cookies, Valentine's Day Sugar Cookies, Marbled Sugar Cookies, Buttercream Sugar Cookies