This Apple Blueberry Pie is a fun twist on a classic apple pie recipe. The fresh apples and blueberries are coated with cinnamon, sugar, and a touch of maple syrup.
Single Crust (you’ll need two crust for the lattice)
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, cold
- 1 1/2 cups (210g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) distilled white vinegar
- 2–3 tablespoons (30-45ml) ice water
Apple Blueberry Filling
- 6 medium granny smith apples- about 5 cups diced
- 2 cups (296g) fresh blueberries, frozen or fresh
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) lemon juice
- ¼ cup (35g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (48g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (55g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (7.5g) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) maple syrup
For the crust
- Cut the butter into cubes, about ½ inch thick. Butter should be very cold.
- In a food processor, combine the flour and salt and butter and pulse gently to combine. The mixture should have dime-size pieces of butter.
- Next add the egg, vinegar and 1 tablespoon water, pulse until the dough starts to form, add additional water and needed.
- Press the dough into a ball, flatten it into a disc, about 5 inches wide. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 45 minutes.
Apple Blueberry Filling
- Peel and slice the apples about 1/8” thick and toss with the lemon juice. Then add the blueberries.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and then toss the apples thoroughly in the dry ingredients. Finally, drizzle the maple syrup over top then pour your apples in your prepared crust.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F .
- Roll the dough onto a lightly floured surface, rolling from the center to the edges and rotating occasionally. Roll it out so it’s about 11 inches in diameter, leaving you at least 1 inch on each side of the pie plate. Place in a 9-inch pie plate.
- Add the filling to the prepared pie crust.
- Make the lattice: Roll out the second crust at least 10-inches wide and cut it into strips. Use remaining dough to make small cut-out shapes if desired.
- Place 3 strips horizontally and equally spaced across the pie. Fold back every other horizontal strip. Then lay one strip perpendicular (vertically) to the others across, and fold the horizontal strips back on top of it so it lays over top of the one you just laid down.
- Next, fold up one center horizontal stripe and lay down another vertical stripe in the center. It’s best to use a long piece of dough for the center. Then fold the horizontal strip back down.
- Repeat this process until all the strips have been used and the top of the pie is covered with the lattice crust.
- Trim away excess edges of the dough strips. Then fold over the edges of the bottom crust on top on top of the lattice and press together, crimping the edges as you go. Place cut-out shapes around the outside edge if desired.
- Add egg wash: lightly beat the egg and brush it over top of all the pie dough. Sprinkle with coarse sanding sugar if desired.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until the apples reach a soft consistency. After 30 minutes of baking, place a silicone pie shield around the outside edge to prevent the crust from browning too quickly.
- Cool for at least 2 hours prior to cutting.
- You can also make this gluten-free with my gluten-free pie crust, and use the same gluten-free flour in the filling.
- Category: Pie
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pie recipe, Thanksgiving dessert, Apple recipe