This Cherry Chocolate Chip Poke Cake is a sweet cherry cake loaded with chocolate chips, soaked in sweetened condensed milk, and topped with whipped cream and chocolate sauce.
- 1 box (15oz) white Cake Mix (or vanilla)
- 3/4 cup (177ml) milk
- 1/3 cup (79ml) vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup (118ml) maraschino Cherry Juice, from a 10-ounce jar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) pure almond extract (or vanilla)
- 1 1/4 cups (280g) mini chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons (18g) all-Purpose Flour
- 10 Maraschino Cherries, Chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 can (14-ounces) sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 container (8-ounces) Cool Whip
- 3 tablespoons Hot Fudge Sauce, For garnish
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Coat a 9×13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, milk, vegetable oil, cherry juice, egg whites, and almond extract. Beat all ingredients together until they’re well combined.
- In a small plastic bag, combine the mini chocolate chips with the flour and shake to coat the chocolate chips. Gently fold the mini chocolate chips and the chopped cherries into the cake batter, reserving a small handful of the chocolate chips to sprinkle over the top.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes. To check the cake for doneness, insert a toothpick into the middle of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is done. Cool completely.
- Use a wooden spoon or small round object to poke holes all over the top of the cake. Pour the can of sweetened condensed milk over top of the cake, trying to spread it evenly. Allow it to soak into the cake before topping. Spread the Cool Whip over the cooled cake, and garnish with hot fudge and cherries.
- To use homemade whipped cream instead of Cool Whip, use 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream combined with 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
- Storing: An assembled poke cake must be stored in the fridge. It will last for 3-5 days, but sure to use an airtight container.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cherry cake, cherry chip cake, cherry chip cake mix