This easy Lemon Drizzle Cake is a rich and moist lemon bundt cake recipe soaked in a zesty lemon glaze. It’s the perfect summer dessert filled with real lemon flavor.
For the Cake
- 1 ½ cups (285g) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup (236ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (240g) full-fat sour cream, at room temperature
- 2 large lemons, zested
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) lemon extract
- 2 cups (280g) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3 teaspoons (12g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5g) salt
- ½ cup (118l) milk, at room temperature
For the Glaze
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2–4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
For the Cake
- Allow necessary ingredients to come to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously grease and flour a 10-cup-sized bundt pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, oil, and sugar until well combined. Next add the lemon extract, lemon zest, and sour cream. Beat on medium speed until well incorporated. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mix on low speed while slowly pouring in the milk. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 350°F for 36-40 minutes, keeping a careful eye on the baking during the last few minutes. Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack, and after 5 minutes, run a knife around the outside edge of your cake and in the center to release it from the sides of the pan. Turn it out onto a plate or cooling rack. Allow the cake to cool completely.
For the Glaze
- Allow the cake to cool for about 30 minutes, then transfer it back to the original bundt pan. Poke holes in the bottom of the cake.
- Prepare the glaze by combining the sugar and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice in a bowl, and whisking to combine. Add an additional 1 tablespoon of lemon to juice as needed to thin the glaze.
- Drizzle about half the glaze over the bottom of the cake and allow it to soak into the cake. Once the liquid is absorbed, turn it back onto a plate. Poke a few holes over the top and sides of the cake and pour the remaining glaze over top. Cool completely before serving.
- If you’d like additional glaze, start with ¼ cup of sugar and 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Freshly juiced lemons are best for flavor. For this recipe, you’ll need 2-3 large lemons for the zest and juices for the cake and glaze.
- Lemon extract can be substituted with additional lemon juice
- Storing: This will keep 4-5 day in an airtight container at room temperature of in the refrigerator. Remove from the refrigerator 15 minutes before serving.
- Lemon zest: If you don’t have a zester or need a refresher on how to zest a lemon, see this helpful tutorial.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon drizzle cake, lemon cake, lemon bundt cake