Easy homemade Hot Chocolate Bombs. The chocolate spheres are filled with hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows. Drop these into a glass of warm milk and stir until it melts for the best hot chocolate you’ve ever had!
- 8-ounce (226g) dark chocolate bar
- 6 tablespoons powdered hot chocolate mix
- Mini Marshmallows
- 1 cup of boiled Water
- Hot Milk (for serving)
- Whipped Cream (for serving)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt half the chocolate at 50% power in 20 second increments. Stirring each time until melted and smooth.
- Coat the cavities of the mold one at time. Put a spoonful of melted chocolate in each cavity and swirl it around to coat the outside. If it’s thin, add additional chocolate then refrigerate for 10-15 minutes. (note this could take longer depending on thickness)
- Boil about ¾ cups of water either on the stovetop or in the microwave. Place a plate overtop of the measuring cup to warm the plate.
- Unmold the chocolate shells. Press the chocolate shell on your heated plate briefly to heat the edges. Quickly flip over the shell and place it in the cupcake wrapper.
- Fill the shell with 1 tablespoon of Hot Chocolate mix and a couple of mini marshmallows. Do not over stuff.
- Repeat step 4 and gently press the two shells together, being careful not to press too hard so as not to crack the bottom shell. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes to set.
- To add a chocolate drizzle: Re-melt the chocolate in the microwave as instructed above. Fill a small piping bag with 2-3 tablespoons of melted chocolate and cut off the tip of the piping bag. Drizzle and allow to set. Garnish with sprinkles.
- To serve: Place a chocolate bomb in the bottom of a mug. Heat milk in the microwave until desired consistency, pour warm milk over the chocolate bomb. Stir until combined. Serve with whipped cream or hot chocolate whipped cream.
- Silicone mold: https://amzn.to/3w73KEe
- How to store: Store in a cool dry place until ready to use. They can be kept in an airtight container for 1 week
- Doubling this recipe: This recipe makes 6 hot chocolate bombs, because you need two halves and the mold has 6 cavities, so you can make three at a time. If you would like to make more, I recommend making them one batch at a time rather than doubling the chocolate as you will have to continue melting the chocolate and eventually it can discolor.
- Types of chocolate: You can use milk, white or dark chocolate. High quality chocolate bar are best. Chocolate chips can be used, but they do not melt down as smoothly and can produce a different finish.
- Additional tip for sealing: If you find the method with the heated plate is not warm enough to remelt the edge of the chocolate sphere, try warming a skillet on the stovetop.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Hot Chocolate bombs, hot cocoa bombs. hot chocolate balls