These homemade moist pumpkin cupcakes are light and fluffy, and packed with real pumpkin flavor and spice. This easy pumpkin cupcake is an all brown sugar cake recipe with maple syrup, cinnamon and pumpkin spice flavors. These cupcakes are topped with a silky cinnamon maple cream cheese frosting.
For the cupcakes
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk (I use nonfat)
For the frosting:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold
- 16 ounces cream cheese, cold
- 6–7 cups powdered confectionary sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Next mix in the pumpkin and beat until well combined.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all remaining dry ingredients. Then, add half the dry ingredients to the batter followed half the milk and beat until it starts to combine.
- Finally add the remaining dry ingredients, mixing on low speed while pouring in the milk and beating until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Cool Completely.
- For the frosting: Cut the butter into 1-inch blocks. Beat the butter for 1-2 minutes until it is slightly softened.
- Then add the cream cheese and cream together for 2-3 minutes until they are fluffy and free of lumps, scape down the bowl occasionally.
- Slowly add the confectionary sugar 2 cups at a time, followed by the cinnamon vanilla extract and maple syrup and beat until desired consistency is reached.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream and beat until desired consistency, at least 2 minutes.
- In a large piping bag fitted with a large open star pipping tip, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Store cupcakes in an airtight container, refrigerate as necessary, removing 1 hour before serving
- Frosting can be made in advance and kept refrigerated. Remove 1 hour before piping
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pumpkin Cupcakes, Pumpkin Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting, Homemade Pumpkin Cupcakes