This Old Fashioned Coconut Custard Pie is similar to what you would imagine a coconut crème brulee might be. The flaky pie crust is filled with loads of shredded coconut set in a baked custard.
- 1 Pie crust shell, prepared
- 3 Large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup milk (I used non0fat)
- 1 cup coconut milk, mixed
- 2 cups shredded coconut, sweetened
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Prepare a pastry pie shell, roll about and place in pie plate. Trim and flute the edges.
- To prepare the filling start by whisking the eggs, gradually adding in sugar and salt. Whisk until smooth and frothy.
- Add coconut extract, milk and coconut milk. Be sure to mix the coconut milk before adding to the eggs.
- Last, add the shredded coconut and whisk into the filling. Pour batter into prepared pie shell.
- Place pie plate on lower rack in your oven. Bake at 450°F for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, turn the oven down to 350° F and cover the crust with foil to prevent burning. Bake for another 20-25 minutes.
- Pie will still be slightly jiggly on top, but stick a toothpick around the pie to ensure the filling has baked. If there is any bubbling or liquid on top, dab it lightly with a paper towel.
- Allow pie to cool completely before serving. I suggest to refrigerate and serve cold. Serve with whipped cream or a raspberry sauce.
This recipe and photo have been updated in 2018 to reduce the amount of liquid in this recipe.
- Category: Pie
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: coconut pie, coconut custard pie, coconut desserts, easy coconut pie recipe