This Moist Pumpkin Bundt Cake is a homemade pumpkin cake covered in the brown butter maple glaze.
For the Cake
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk (I use nonfat)
For the Glaze
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), browned
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour the bundt pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Next mix in the pumpkin and beat until well combined.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all remaining dry ingredients. Then, add half the dry ingredients to the batter followed half the milk and beat until it starts to combine.
- Finally add the remaining dry ingredients, mixing on low speed while pouring in the milk and beating until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Bake at 350°F for approximately 30-35 minutes. Baking times will vary by type of pan used. Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack, and after 5 minutes, run a knife around the outside edge of your cake and in the center to release it from the sides of the pan. Turn it out onto a plate or cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
- For the glaze: To brown the butter, use a small saucepan, and cut the butter into pieces. Melt the butter over medium heat and allow it to boil and bubble.
- Once it’s starts boiling, stir it frequently and it will slowly start to turn an amber color and releases a nutty aroma. Bubbling will slow down as it starts to brown.
- Remove the butter from the heat and allow it to cool completely.
- Sift your powdered sugar so it’s easier to incorporate. Slowly start whisking in the powdered sugar, about ½ cup at a time.
- As the mixer thickens, start alternating in the liquid ingredients: maple syrup and heavy whipping cream.
- Continue whisking in the cinnamon until all the ingredients are well combined.
- The glaze should be thick but still run off your whisk. If you find it’s too thick, pop it in the microwave for 10 seconds and restir.
- Adding additional milk or heavy cream will make the glaze even thinner, but you still want it to be thick enough that it will set. Store in an airtight container.
- I used a 10 cup bundt pan the one I linked to above is similar but a 12 cup size. The baking time will vary by the type and size of the pan you use
- Category: Cake
Keywords: Pumpkin Cake, Bundt Cake, Pumpkin Bundt Cake