Have you ever wondered how to decorate sugar cookies for Christmas and other holidays, like you see in the magazines? In this tutorial, I show you how to make the best buttercream frosting for Christmas cookies and offer step-by-step tips on exactly how to frost the most beautiful Christmas tree, present, and stocking cut-out cookies!
- A batch of homemade sugar cookies
For the frosting
- 1 1/2 cup (339 g) (3 sticks) unsalted butter, cold.
- 5 cups (650 g) powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons (12 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) heavy whipping cream (or milk)
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Cut the butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally, beating until the butter look light in color.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated into the butter then add the vanilla extract and mix to combine. Beat for about 60 seconds.
- Next, add an additional 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 3 minutes.
- Add last 1 cup powdered sugar along with the heavy whipping cream and salt. Beat on low until the ingredients start to mix together. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 3-5 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting.
- Divide the frosting into bowl, add gel colors and decorate.
- This will make enough to generously frost 24+ sugar cookies
- Storing: Frosted cookies should be stored in an airtight container. I do recommend a single layer for best results, but if you need to stack two layers high, place a piece of parchment paper between layers. Stacking cookies can result in some damage to the frosting.
- Freezing frosted cookies. Frosted cookies can be frozen. Once decorated, place them on a cookie sheet in the freezer for 15-30 minutes until the frosting had hardened. Then transfer to an airtight container. As long as the frosting is firm, these can be stacked in the container, with a layer of parchment paper in between. Thaw cookies on a cookie sheet in a single layer. These can be thawed on the counter for a couple of hours.
- Category: Frosting
- Method: Stand Mixer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: buttercream cookie frosting, how to decorate christmas cookies, how to decorate cookies